New heights for Newham Sixth Form College after Ofsted report
- Credit: Newham Sixth Form College
Ofsted has given an ‘outstanding’ rating for Newham Sixth Form College’s handling of personal development, behaviour and welfare.
A strong student voice and their courteous and enthusiastic approach by learners contributed to the ‘outstanding’ rating.
The school received an overall ‘good’ rating in the report, which followed an inspection in early December last year.
Principal and chief executive of the college Mandeep Gill said: “We are very proud of our broad offer and the wide ranging achievements of students with different abilities and ambitions.
“I am very much in favour of giving every student the opportunity to achieve on their terms.”
You may also want to watch:
It is the first ‘outstanding’ the school has received since it was given an overall ‘requires improvement’ in 2014.
The inspectors also noted the enthusiasm of teachers, students’ access to work experience and new ways to agree the college’s values.
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 4 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
- 7 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 8 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash
- 9 Fares Maatou death: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 10 Newham chiefs give nod to housing allocation plans
However, Ofsted said there was room for improvement, with A-Level students not making good enough progress relative to their starting points and a minority achieving high grades.