Newham to get share of �10 million funding towards youth groups
Newham youth groups are set to benefit from a government cash boost of �10 million to train new volunteer leaders.
The funding will go towards recruiting 2,700 adults for Youth United, a coalition of the major youth volunteering organisations including the Scouts, the Guides and Police Cadets established by the HRH Prince of Wales.
Over two and a half years, this will create 400 new youth groups in communities like Newham where historically there have been limited opportunities due to a shortage of volunteers.
Communities secretary Eric Pickles said: “Scouts, Guides and the Cadets have a tremendously proud and successful history of giving young people the kind of fun, life skills and experiences they can’t get anywhere else.
“They rely on the goodwill and dedication of trained adult volunteers to provide this community service, which brings young people of all backgrounds and beliefs together.
You may also want to watch:
“Over 1.5m young people are regularly involved but many more want to join – with more volunteer leaders needed to bring waiting lists down – every young person in the country should have the chance to participate if they want to.”
Rod Jarman, chair of the Youth United Board, said: “We now have a real chance to engage more adults and let them experience and gain from volunteering to help others and to identify new ways of working to provide good accommodation from which the units can work.”
- 1 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 4 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 5 Men from Canning Town and Leytonstone charged with theft from Wembley Stadium
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House