Newham teenagers could be rubbing shoulders with tennis stars
- Credit: Archant
A group of teenagers from the borough could be fulfilling the dream of a lifetime to appear on court with the world’s best tennis players at The O2 in November.
The five teenagers are among 200 others hoping to be picked for the 2014 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.
Now in its fifth year, the Barclays Ball Kids programme is designed to thank and reward the support of young tennis fans who help make tennis what it is.
Youngsters hoping to be selected for this once in a lifetime opportunity to grace the court at The O2 with the likes of Andy Murray, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic, started their journey in the capital over the weekend.
Paulius Zabarauskas, Rickiah Hurley-West, Shienna Hurley-West, Jordan Green and Jenna Mitchell were among 200 hopefuls from across of London who were put through their paces by the Barclays Ball Kid talent ID team. They were tested on their agility, endurance, co-ordination, ball skills, balance, speed and team work in an attempt to assemble a squad of talented and energetic youngsters to take to the court in front of thousands of spectators at The O2, as well as millions of television viewers around the world.
You may also want to watch:
Those who are successful will be selected to go through to national trials day on October 4, held at the prestigious St George’s Park, home of England Football.
Mark Magrath, Head of the Barclays Ball Kids recruitment team, said: “This is the 5th year of the Barclays Ball Kids, and I know from my own experience, and feedback in the industry that they are seen as the best at what they do. This year we are looking for another 30 kids to take on that mantel and prove to be the best yet whilst having an experience of a lifetime.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 5 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 6 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 7 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 8 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving