Newham students’ designs will be on show at London Fashion Week
Two talented fashion students from Newham have won the chance to showcase their creations on the London Fashion Week catwalk this autumn.
Denae Joseph, 17, from Newham College and Stephanie Perucho, 17, who attends St Angela’s & St Bonaventure’s sixth-form, have been named as finalists of the charity Fashion Awareness Direct’s Fashion Futures 2012 programme.
They beat 120 hopefuls from 42 schools and colleges to join 25 other young designers for an intensive summer school at the University of East London (UEL).
Here, they will have just five days to create garments for the 2012 FAD Junior Awards final at London Fashion Week.
The scheme was set up to give people from less fortunate backgrounds the chance to show their talents.
You may also want to watch:
Fiona Lambert, from clothing label George, which is supporting the awards, said: “Fashion Awareness Direct is a fantastic way to help young people break into the fashion industry.
“It’s great to be able to be involved in the charity and provide an insight into working in the fashion industry.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 4 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR