Newham students’ designs will be on show at London Fashion Week
Two talented fashion students from Newham have won the chance to showcase their creations on the London Fashion Week catwalk this autumn.
Denae Joseph, 17, from Newham College and Stephanie Perucho, 17, who attends St Angela’s & St Bonaventure’s sixth-form, have been named as finalists of the charity Fashion Awareness Direct’s Fashion Futures 2012 programme.
They beat 120 hopefuls from 42 schools and colleges to join 25 other young designers for an intensive summer school at the University of East London (UEL).
Here, they will have just five days to create garments for the 2012 FAD Junior Awards final at London Fashion Week.
The scheme was set up to give people from less fortunate backgrounds the chance to show their talents.
You may also want to watch:
Fiona Lambert, from clothing label George, which is supporting the awards, said: “Fashion Awareness Direct is a fantastic way to help young people break into the fashion industry.
“It’s great to be able to be involved in the charity and provide an insight into working in the fashion industry.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0