Newham students’ designs will be on show at London Fashion Week
Two talented fashion students from Newham have won the chance to showcase their creations on the London Fashion Week catwalk this autumn.
Denae Joseph, 17, from Newham College and Stephanie Perucho, 17, who attends St Angela’s & St Bonaventure’s sixth-form, have been named as finalists of the charity Fashion Awareness Direct’s Fashion Futures 2012 programme.
They beat 120 hopefuls from 42 schools and colleges to join 25 other young designers for an intensive summer school at the University of East London (UEL).
Here, they will have just five days to create garments for the 2012 FAD Junior Awards final at London Fashion Week.
The scheme was set up to give people from less fortunate backgrounds the chance to show their talents.
You may also want to watch:
Fiona Lambert, from clothing label George, which is supporting the awards, said: “Fashion Awareness Direct is a fantastic way to help young people break into the fashion industry.
“It’s great to be able to be involved in the charity and provide an insight into working in the fashion industry.”
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 3 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 8 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 9 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k
- 10 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood