Newham students delighted to secure Oxbridge offers
- Credit: LAE
Oxford and Cambridge might be a far cry from east London, a group of the borough’s brightest sixth form students are hoping to take up places at the prestigious universities in September.
The London Academy of Excellence (LAE) has seen a record-breaking 20 students offered places at Oxbridge colleges.
Headteacher John Weeks praised his students, saying: “Our Sixth Formers set extremely high targets for themselves and the progress we help them make will, in turn, help them secure the grades they need for their conditional offers.”
Former Langdon Academy student Shiza Naqvi is hoping to head to Newnham College, Cambridge, to study mathematics.
She said: “At school you hear lots of ‘ghost stories’ about how hard it is to get into Oxford or Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
“You hear about how someone got 50 A*s and still got rejected.
“Obviously, I now know that’s not true and all the preparation I have put in and the extra hard maths problems my teacher set me have paid off.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex
Meanwhile, nine students at Newham Collegiate Sixth Form Centre (NCS) have received Oxbridge offers.
These include aspiring lawyer Abdul Musaddik, who has secured an offer to read law at St John’s College, Oxford.
He said: “The offer from Oxford came as a huge shock, and before I came to the NCS I didn’t even think it was possible. I hope I can meet Oxford’s entry requirements and study law at one of the best universities in the world.”
Principal Mouhssin Ismail said: “To secure nine Oxbridge offers in only our second A level year is a fantastic achievement and one that we all take great pride in.”