Newham students delighted to secure Oxbridge offers
- Credit: LAE
Oxford and Cambridge might be a far cry from east London, a group of the borough’s brightest sixth form students are hoping to take up places at the prestigious universities in September.
The London Academy of Excellence (LAE) has seen a record-breaking 20 students offered places at Oxbridge colleges.
Headteacher John Weeks praised his students, saying: “Our Sixth Formers set extremely high targets for themselves and the progress we help them make will, in turn, help them secure the grades they need for their conditional offers.”
Former Langdon Academy student Shiza Naqvi is hoping to head to Newnham College, Cambridge, to study mathematics.
She said: “At school you hear lots of ‘ghost stories’ about how hard it is to get into Oxford or Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
“You hear about how someone got 50 A*s and still got rejected.
“Obviously, I now know that’s not true and all the preparation I have put in and the extra hard maths problems my teacher set me have paid off.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 8 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 9 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
Meanwhile, nine students at Newham Collegiate Sixth Form Centre (NCS) have received Oxbridge offers.
These include aspiring lawyer Abdul Musaddik, who has secured an offer to read law at St John’s College, Oxford.
He said: “The offer from Oxford came as a huge shock, and before I came to the NCS I didn’t even think it was possible. I hope I can meet Oxford’s entry requirements and study law at one of the best universities in the world.”
Principal Mouhssin Ismail said: “To secure nine Oxbridge offers in only our second A level year is a fantastic achievement and one that we all take great pride in.”