Newham students come last in boating event with bankers but still raise cash for good cause
- Credit: Archant
A group of students from Newham College helped staff from a global firm in Docklands raise over £94,000 for disadvantaged young people.
Ten students and three teachers from the college’s Prince’s Trust Team programme took part in the annual Morgan Stanley Dragon Boat Race at The Docklands Sailing and Watersports Centre recently.
One student boat team and 15 others from the banking firm raised and donated the money towards a new Prince’s Trust Centre in east London.
Student Hayley Baker, 18, said: “Our team took their time rowing towards the start line in the first race to preserve energy. We raced against a team from Hungary that had been in training since April.
“Unfortunately, we came last in the event but it didn’t stop us from supporting and cheering on our team mates who also took part in the Dragon Boat Race.“
You may also want to watch:
Emma Tamblingson, Morgan Stanley’s community affairs manager, said: “My thanks to the College and the team for taking up your paddles to join us at the Dragon Boat Race at Morgan Stanley.
“They rowed valiantly against the competition winners and definitely received the loudest cheers!”
- 1 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 2 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 3 Fire breaks out at Beckton superstore
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 8 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 9 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 10 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
Cynthia McIntosh, Newham College’s Prince’s Trust Manager, said: “Fun and challenging activities can help vulnerable young people to gain the skills and confidence they need to turn their lives around.
“It’s also important for employees to speak young people at The Prince’s Trust as it helps to bring our work to life. We are incredibly grateful to Morgan Stanley for all the support that they give us throughout the year.”
The Prince’s Trust is Morgan Stanley’s chosen charity for 2013-2015, and the firm hopes to raise £1million to create a brand new Centre for young people in London.
The Prince’s Trust programme delivered by Newham College is a 12 week personal development course offering hands on experience, qualifications, practical skills, community projects and a residential week to help young people aged 16-25 years to build their confidence and skills to move into work.