Newham schools team up with Olympic athlete to save energy
Newham school pupils have teamed up with an Olympic gold medallist to be more energy efficient and eco-friendly.
Eastlea School in Canning Town, Park Primary and St Francis RC Primary - both in Stratford - are taking part in Switch Off Fortnight encouraging children to carry out energy audits in their schools and at home with their families, helping them to identify ways to cut their energy use, help the environment and save money.
Katherine Grainger, who won gold at London 2012 in the coxless sculls, is the ambassador of the campaign orchestrated by EDF Energy’s education programme The Pod.
Katherine said: “I’m hoping the hundreds of thousands of children at all the schools taking part in Switch Off Fortnight put in gold medal performances.
“In rowing, conserving energy for the long haul is absolutely vital – and the same is true for how we use energy every day.
You may also want to watch:
“What I’ve seen at just one Pod school is so inspiring. They are working hard as a community to become more sustainable and I’m not surprised that they are a gold medal Pod school.
“This year, children are taking the energy-saving message home and I’m sure will inspire family and friends to get involved.”
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
Eastlea, Park, and St Francis primaries will join 23 other schools in east London who will be sent free Switch off Fortnight campaign packs which include a tracking chart fun posters, stickers and badges.