Newham schools needed for Olympic-inspired Communication Triathlon
An Olympics-themed communication scheme is looking for Newham primary schools to take part and boost pupils’ speech and language skills.
The UK’s first national Communication Triathlon are recruiting primary schools to get involved with the project, which is a part of the Get Set programme.
Launched in April 2012, the project forms a series of free events centred around three Games-inspired speaking and listening activities entitled Thinking, Talking, and Teamwork.
Pupils are split into two age groups, four to seven years, and seven to 11 years, and the Communication Triathlon can be completed as a class, a year group, or a whole school for as long as a week or as short as a day.
Designed by speech and language experts and teachers, the Communication Triathlon is the brainchild of BT’s local business network, Openreach, and children’s charity I Can.
Virginia Beardshaw, chief executive of I Can, said: “Upwards of 50 per cent of children, on some parts of the country, are arriving at primary school without the speech and language skills they need to learn, achieve, and make friends.
“The Communication Triathlon is a fantastic way to get children practicing their communication skills in a fun and exciting way so they do not get left behind.”
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks
- 9 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 10 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
To join the 94 schools in London that have signed up, information packs are available at www.communicationtriathlon.org.uk.
If your primary school is already involved, email email@example.com.