Newham schools needed for Olympic-inspired Communication Triathlon
An Olympics-themed communication scheme is looking for Newham primary schools to take part and boost pupils’ speech and language skills.
The UK’s first national Communication Triathlon are recruiting primary schools to get involved with the project, which is a part of the Get Set programme.
Launched in April 2012, the project forms a series of free events centred around three Games-inspired speaking and listening activities entitled Thinking, Talking, and Teamwork.
Pupils are split into two age groups, four to seven years, and seven to 11 years, and the Communication Triathlon can be completed as a class, a year group, or a whole school for as long as a week or as short as a day.
Designed by speech and language experts and teachers, the Communication Triathlon is the brainchild of BT’s local business network, Openreach, and children’s charity I Can.
You may also want to watch:
Virginia Beardshaw, chief executive of I Can, said: “Upwards of 50 per cent of children, on some parts of the country, are arriving at primary school without the speech and language skills they need to learn, achieve, and make friends.
“The Communication Triathlon is a fantastic way to get children practicing their communication skills in a fun and exciting way so they do not get left behind.”
- 1 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 4 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 7 Silvertown, North Woolwich heritage project offers opportunity to history buff
- 8 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 9 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
To join the 94 schools in London that have signed up, information packs are available at www.communicationtriathlon.org.uk.
If your primary school is already involved, email firstname.lastname@example.org.