Newham Deputy Young Mayor in race for Miss London 2012
The saying ‘politics is showbusiness for ugly people’ has entered popular folklore, but one East Ham student has already proved that is not quite true.
Newham Council’s deputy Young Mayor Wendy Zadique, 16, has made the shortlist for this year’s Miss London 2012 competition.
The ambitious teenager wants to change any negative views held about the borough’s young people.
She said: “Not everybody in the area gets recognition for their achievements,
“Young people in Newham don’t have a very good reputation. I want to change that.”
You may also want to watch:
Successful entrants will be taken to a ‘bootcamp’ style beauty pageant training day.
A panel of judges, including last year’s winner Rissikat Bade, will then pick eight finalists for the Miss London 2012 finale at Cafe de Paris on March 17.
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 3 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 6 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 9 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show
Wendy, who is studying for a BTEC in sports science at Barking Abbey School, said she was pleased to get as far as she had.
She added: “The only thing that would put me down is my height.
“If I’m confident with the way I look then I’m happy and I’m only going to be better for this experience.”
To vote, visit www.missengland.info/regionals/london