Newham Deputy Young Mayor in race for Miss London 2012
The saying ‘politics is showbusiness for ugly people’ has entered popular folklore, but one East Ham student has already proved that is not quite true.
Newham Council’s deputy Young Mayor Wendy Zadique, 16, has made the shortlist for this year’s Miss London 2012 competition.
The ambitious teenager wants to change any negative views held about the borough’s young people.
She said: “Not everybody in the area gets recognition for their achievements,
“Young people in Newham don’t have a very good reputation. I want to change that.”
Successful entrants will be taken to a ‘bootcamp’ style beauty pageant training day.
A panel of judges, including last year’s winner Rissikat Bade, will then pick eight finalists for the Miss London 2012 finale at Cafe de Paris on March 17.
- 1 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 2 Leyton Orient boss Jackett hoping to strengthen squad
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 7 New boy Brown 'buzzing' to help Leyton Orient
- 8 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 9 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 10 'Time to end the injustice': Barts staff set to strike amid pay dispute
Wendy, who is studying for a BTEC in sports science at Barking Abbey School, said she was pleased to get as far as she had.
She added: “The only thing that would put me down is my height.
“If I’m confident with the way I look then I’m happy and I’m only going to be better for this experience.”
To vote, visit www.missengland.info/regionals/london