Newham Deputy Young Mayor in race for Miss London 2012
The saying ‘politics is showbusiness for ugly people’ has entered popular folklore, but one East Ham student has already proved that is not quite true.
Newham Council’s deputy Young Mayor Wendy Zadique, 16, has made the shortlist for this year’s Miss London 2012 competition.
The ambitious teenager wants to change any negative views held about the borough’s young people.
She said: “Not everybody in the area gets recognition for their achievements,
“Young people in Newham don’t have a very good reputation. I want to change that.”
You may also want to watch:
Successful entrants will be taken to a ‘bootcamp’ style beauty pageant training day.
A panel of judges, including last year’s winner Rissikat Bade, will then pick eight finalists for the Miss London 2012 finale at Cafe de Paris on March 17.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 5 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 6 West Ham boss Moyes wants his side to show they can compete with the big boys
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 9 David Moyes does not want to be hammered for another striking mistake
- 10 East Ham MP urges government to keep £20 boost to universal credit
Wendy, who is studying for a BTEC in sports science at Barking Abbey School, said she was pleased to get as far as she had.
She added: “The only thing that would put me down is my height.
“If I’m confident with the way I look then I’m happy and I’m only going to be better for this experience.”
To vote, visit www.missengland.info/regionals/london