Newham Deputy Young Mayor in race for Miss London 2012
The saying ‘politics is showbusiness for ugly people’ has entered popular folklore, but one East Ham student has already proved that is not quite true.
Newham Council’s deputy Young Mayor Wendy Zadique, 16, has made the shortlist for this year’s Miss London 2012 competition.
The ambitious teenager wants to change any negative views held about the borough’s young people.
She said: “Not everybody in the area gets recognition for their achievements,
“Young people in Newham don’t have a very good reputation. I want to change that.”
You may also want to watch:
Successful entrants will be taken to a ‘bootcamp’ style beauty pageant training day.
A panel of judges, including last year’s winner Rissikat Bade, will then pick eight finalists for the Miss London 2012 finale at Cafe de Paris on March 17.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 3 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 4 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 10 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
Wendy, who is studying for a BTEC in sports science at Barking Abbey School, said she was pleased to get as far as she had.
She added: “The only thing that would put me down is my height.
“If I’m confident with the way I look then I’m happy and I’m only going to be better for this experience.”
To vote, visit www.missengland.info/regionals/london