Newham Deputy Young Mayor in race for Miss London 2012
The saying ‘politics is showbusiness for ugly people’ has entered popular folklore, but one East Ham student has already proved that is not quite true.
Newham Council’s deputy Young Mayor Wendy Zadique, 16, has made the shortlist for this year’s Miss London 2012 competition.
The ambitious teenager wants to change any negative views held about the borough’s young people.
She said: “Not everybody in the area gets recognition for their achievements,
“Young people in Newham don’t have a very good reputation. I want to change that.”
You may also want to watch:
Successful entrants will be taken to a ‘bootcamp’ style beauty pageant training day.
A panel of judges, including last year’s winner Rissikat Bade, will then pick eight finalists for the Miss London 2012 finale at Cafe de Paris on March 17.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 7 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford
Wendy, who is studying for a BTEC in sports science at Barking Abbey School, said she was pleased to get as far as she had.
She added: “The only thing that would put me down is my height.
“If I’m confident with the way I look then I’m happy and I’m only going to be better for this experience.”
To vote, visit www.missengland.info/regionals/london