Newham College students gain Olympic tickets
High achieving students will be enjoying ringside view of the Games afer Newham College gave away more than 400 tickets.
The College offered tickets donated by Olympic authorities to students whose teachers have recognised them as achievers.
Students spoke of their excitement about their chance of experiencing an historical event that has benefited the local community.
For one student, Samantha Frederick, from Manor Park, her pair of volleyball tickets tops off an eventful year.
Samantha has found work at the Crowne Plaza, Canary Wharf after doing a training course developed by the College and the global conglomerate, International Hotel Group (IHG).
You may also want to watch:
She was given tickets along with a colleague, Cheryl Howe, after they had both won awards for being outstanding Newham College and IHG trainees.
She said: “I’m excited and honoured to get these tickets. It’ll be an experience I can tell my grandchildren.
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
“As a Newham College student, the tickets are a bonus. What is also an honour is having been taught by some amazing teachers.”
The Imam of Romford Road’s Minhaj-ul-Quran Mosque, Muhammad Sadiq, collected handball tickets with his student daughter, Aisha.
He said: “I feel proud that we have been given tickets. We pray and hope that it will be a successful and peaceful event. As a religious leader, it’s my duty to support such activities that provides encouragement to the country.”
Deputy principal Janak Patel commented: “Newham College is proud to have students and staff who are contributing to these games.
“I would also like to thank LOCOG for ensuring that local people are actively participating in these wonderful events.”