Newham College students celebrated at awards ceremony
- Credit: Archant
The efforts and achievements of students at Newham College have been celebrated in a special ceremony.
Hundreds of guests, including fashion icon Dame Zandra Rhodes and the mayor of Newham, Rokhsana Fiaz - herself a former student at the college - gathered to recognise some of the college’s success stories on Wednesday, June 27.
Guests were aso treated to a performance
Among those to be named as one of the college’s shining stars was Lee Morgan, who was named the further education student of the year, with the award sponsored by the University of East London.
He left school with no qualifications but is now studying an access to health and social care course, while volunteering at a youth justice organisation and works part-time supporting young people with mental health problems to live independently.
You may also want to watch:
He has now been offered one of 60 places on a social work degree that saw 2,500 applications.
The college’s higher education student of the year award, sponsored by Capita IT and Networks, was awarded to David Pender.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 4 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
The trainee counsellor was acknowledged for his achievements despite facing personal adversity, and received the award for his attitude, attendance and achievement, as well as supporting and representing other students.
Other students to win on the night included Coreena Corbett, who won the Cafe Football-sponsored love food champion award, and Aroon Roberto Reinoso Rodas, who is going to Coventry to study engineering.
He picked up the Newham Recorder-sponsored college achievement award, which was presented by
“It was an absolute pleasure to present this award with Dame Zandra Rhodes.
“There’s nothing more pleasurable than rewarding young people for their hard work.
“All the winners are very inspirational and I wish them all the best in the future.”
Principal and chief executive of Newham College, Paul Stephen, added: “It was a fantastic evening! All of the winners and nominees are amazing.
“I know they will go on to achieve great things in their lives and in the community.”