Newham College student award winners rewarded with Olympic tickets
Newham College’s top achievers were recognised for their hard work at its annual Outstanding Stars ceremony.
Forty-eight students scooped awards for their efforts in gaining work, promoting equality, and excelling in certain study areas.
More than 400 people attended the event at the Troxy in Limehouse, including Olympic gold-medallist Tessa Sanderson and R&B singer Lemar.
The winners will also receive two free tickets to the Olympic Games.
The student of the year award was won by Salina Choudhary, 44, after she overcome personal problems to regularly complete her work ahead of time.
You may also want to watch:
Other notable winners included Lloyd Hewitt, 47, who won the excellent role model award for good attendance and time keeping, and Bina Patel, 22, who will go to Cambridge University to study law.
Banuja Selvarajah, 21, was presented with the first Alexander McQueen award by the late fashion designer’s sister Janette for her creativity.
- 1 Police officer to appear in court after death of man in East Ham
- 2 Clapton Community FC members demand 'Justice for Sami' outside Forest Gate Police Station
- 3 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 4 Stratford School Academy pupil helps launch fund in memory of Prince Philip
- 5 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 6 Pupils send 'awe-inspiring' accounts of pandemic into the future with time capsule
- 7 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 8 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 9 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 10 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
College principal Denise Brown-Sackey said: “Our award winners have, indeed, had tremendous support but they have all made outstanding personal efforts.
“Success rarely comes easily and great success is never achieved without very hard work, determination and drive. They are remarkable people.”