Newham College cook heroic breakfast for East Ham’s firefighters
Firefighters in East Ham felt the heat of the kitchen when Newham College students dropped by to cook them a fry up.
Catering students from the college visited East Ham fire station in the morning to cook a breakfast for the Red Watch to set them up for a day of battling blazes and rescuing people from dangerous situations.
Ranging from 17-years-old to students in their 40s, the aspiring cooks and chefs made a hearty meal of sausage, bacon, poached and scrambled eggs, mushrooms, and tomatoes on toast or English muffins.
All of the ingredients were supplied by the Co-Op and Newham College were invited along by the community safety manager at East Ham fire station as a warm up for the World Rescue Challenge at ExCeL London exhibition centre this weekend.
Having already pulled off this fry up successfully, the heat will be turned up as they help East Ham firefighters go head-to-head in a cook off with another East London fire station.
You may also want to watch:
Gary Johnson, a lecturer at Newham College, said: “It’s great for the students because, rather than cooking in the college in a classroom environment, they’re cooking for people outside, in front of an audience, and there’s a bit of pressure on them.
“And the feedback I get off them is brilliant. They say it’s good to get out of Newham College and cook for other people.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k