Newham choir performs Commonwealth Anthem
A choir from a Newham school has performed a Commonwealth Anthem at a venue that was once the residence of King Edward VII.
The youngsters from St Winefride’s School in Manor Park were led by Alice Mason from the Newham Academy of Music at Marlborough House in central London. Their performance was part of the Commonwealth Education Programme which hosted an evening to launch a CD recording of music by Paul Carroll.
Paul, who studied at the Newham Academy of Music, began his composition career at school in Newham and at the academy. Now a busy professional performer and composer, he has continued his association with the academy and is a renowned expert on baroque flute, oboe, recorder and bassoon.
St Winefride’s school also has a lively and engaged music department. In its last OFSTED visit, the inspector praised the “very effective team-teaching that has developed between staff from Newham Music Trust and class teachers.”
Helen Pree, music co-ordinator, runs a wide variety of musical events and lessons at the school including guitar, choirs, recorders and violin.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Carroll said: “I owe an enormous amount to Newham and especially the Newham Academy of Music which over the years has done so much to provide a sound music education to the children of the borough. The choir from St Winefride’s were exemplary and showed what the children of Newham can do. They were a credit to the parents and to the borough.”
Helen Pree said: “It was a joy to see the children come to school the next day with so much enthusiasm, bursting to tell me all about the experience and how it inspired them to take their music development further in all sorts of ways.”
- 1 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 2 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 8 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 9 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
- 10 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
Paul Underwood, head teacher of St. Winefride’s said “To perform so professionally at such a prestigious event made me very proud of our children. They were a credit to our school and have learnt so much from our music coordinator and the Newham Academy of Music.”