Newham ATC cadets attend open day
Cadets from 282 (East Ham) squadron ATC were invited to the Worshipful Company of Plaisterers to take part in the recent open day in the City of London.
282 squadron is the newest services affiliation of the Plaisterers company and join a small list of units given support. Others include the new HMS Dragon and 42 Commando Royal marines.
They provided demonstrations included a flight simulator which gave members of the public the chance to experience flying and trying to land various aircraft in all weathers.
The music and marching displays also proved to be popular at the open day which attracted more than 600 people throughout the day.
Flt Lt Chris Booty, the squadrons commanding officer, said: “We are delighted to be the Plaisterers newest affiliation, and feel part of their family.”
You may also want to watch:
The Squadron is part of the Air Cadet Organisation, the Air Training Corps. It is open to young people aged between 13 and 18 years of age.
Cadets have the opportunity to go flying and gliding as part of the Air Cadets. The Air Cadet Organisation also supports them through qualifications such as BTEC’s in Aviation Studies and Public Services. Cadets can also take part in a wide choice of activities including adventure training, flying, gliding, a variety of sports and shooting. There are also visits to RAF stations, as well as camps both in the UK and overseas. Cadets are also encouraged to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The Squadron has a long and history within Newham and the East End of London. It meets in Vicarage Lane, East Ham on Monday and Friday nights.