Newham ATC cadets attend open day
Cadets from 282 (East Ham) squadron ATC were invited to the Worshipful Company of Plaisterers to take part in the recent open day in the City of London.
282 squadron is the newest services affiliation of the Plaisterers company and join a small list of units given support. Others include the new HMS Dragon and 42 Commando Royal marines.
They provided demonstrations included a flight simulator which gave members of the public the chance to experience flying and trying to land various aircraft in all weathers.
The music and marching displays also proved to be popular at the open day which attracted more than 600 people throughout the day.
Flt Lt Chris Booty, the squadrons commanding officer, said: “We are delighted to be the Plaisterers newest affiliation, and feel part of their family.”
You may also want to watch:
The Squadron is part of the Air Cadet Organisation, the Air Training Corps. It is open to young people aged between 13 and 18 years of age.
Cadets have the opportunity to go flying and gliding as part of the Air Cadets. The Air Cadet Organisation also supports them through qualifications such as BTEC’s in Aviation Studies and Public Services. Cadets can also take part in a wide choice of activities including adventure training, flying, gliding, a variety of sports and shooting. There are also visits to RAF stations, as well as camps both in the UK and overseas. Cadets are also encouraged to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
The Squadron has a long and history within Newham and the East End of London. It meets in Vicarage Lane, East Ham on Monday and Friday nights.