Newham ATC cadets attend open day
Cadets from 282 (East Ham) squadron ATC were invited to the Worshipful Company of Plaisterers to take part in the recent open day in the City of London.
282 squadron is the newest services affiliation of the Plaisterers company and join a small list of units given support. Others include the new HMS Dragon and 42 Commando Royal marines.
They provided demonstrations included a flight simulator which gave members of the public the chance to experience flying and trying to land various aircraft in all weathers.
The music and marching displays also proved to be popular at the open day which attracted more than 600 people throughout the day.
Flt Lt Chris Booty, the squadrons commanding officer, said: “We are delighted to be the Plaisterers newest affiliation, and feel part of their family.”
You may also want to watch:
The Squadron is part of the Air Cadet Organisation, the Air Training Corps. It is open to young people aged between 13 and 18 years of age.
Cadets have the opportunity to go flying and gliding as part of the Air Cadets. The Air Cadet Organisation also supports them through qualifications such as BTEC’s in Aviation Studies and Public Services. Cadets can also take part in a wide choice of activities including adventure training, flying, gliding, a variety of sports and shooting. There are also visits to RAF stations, as well as camps both in the UK and overseas. Cadets are also encouraged to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award scheme.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
The Squadron has a long and history within Newham and the East End of London. It meets in Vicarage Lane, East Ham on Monday and Friday nights.