New Stratford parent & toddler group opens for visually impaired tots
Mums and dads with young children who are visually impaired can take their tiny tots to a new parent and toddler group.
The group, run by the Royal London Socoiety for Blind People, is at the Chandos East Centre in Stratford and will be open at 10am on June 12.
The society has run a specialist nursery for vision impaired children in Kent for 15 years. The new Parent and Toddler group in Stratford is an expansion of the charity?s unique and OFSTED rated outstanding service.
The free group is a weekly service that will run from 10.30am to 12.30pm on Wednesdays. Children up to the age of five from across East London are welcome with their families to play and learn in a safe and fun environment.
Maggie Bindon, RLSB’s Head of Early Years, said: “85 per cent of a child’s essential early years learning is visual, so for a vision impaired child, specialist techniques and support need to be introduced for healthy development. We are delighted at the prospect of working with toddlers from the area so we can use our expertise to help give them the best start in life.
You may also want to watch:
“Newham has a wonderful track record of supporting children who are living with a disability or sensory impairment. We hope to be able to complement the great work that is already happening in the borough.”
It’s understood that there are up to 200 vision impaired children in East London aged 0-5.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 8 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 9 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0
- 10 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
Families interested in coming to the group can either turn up on the day at 90 Chandos Road, Stratford, or email Maggie at Nursery@rlsb.org.uk