New Royal Docks secondary school opens its doors
- Credit: Archant
A new secondary school, run jointly by Newham Council and an education charity, opened its doors to students from across the borough this week.
The Oasis Academy Silvertown welcomed just 82 secondary school pupils through its doors.
The academy in the Royal Docks is launched by the London based community charity and academy provider, Oasis, in conjunction with the council, and has deliberately chosen to start off small to give its students a smooth and successful transition.
With a view to gradually and organically growing its overall intake, the academy will take students between years 7 and 11, while currently making 90 places available for a new set of Year 7 students to join the academy in September 2015.
Charles Claxton, the Principal of the Academy said; “We are incredibly excited to be opening a new secondary school in the heart of the Royal Docks. Right from the onset, our goal was to establish a thriving secondary school at the heart of the community, which will provide an environment that is conducive to delivering first class education for every student that walks through its doors.”
Steve Chalke, Founder of Oasis said: “By way of its location, Oasis Academy Silvertown is a particularly unique school in that it has already embarked upon the journey of building relationships and establishing strong links with local businesses, enterprises and community organisations. Because of this, coupled with a dedicated team of experienced and passionate staff, I am confident that we will play a crucial role in helping each and every young person meet their God-given potential.”
- 1 Burglar posing as police officer 'preyed upon the elderly'
- 2 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 3 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 6 Covid-19: How the situation in Newham compares to this time last year
- 7 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 10 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women