New nurseries to address Newham’s shortage of pre-school places
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
The managing director of a new nursery scheme set to launch in January has called it a “great opportunity”.
Early Start Education Ltd will initially provide childcare in two locations, one in Forest Gate and one in Manor Park.
It will be jointly owned by Newham Council and an employee trust after being set up through the council’s small business programme.
The new nursery comes in response to the council’s childcare sufficiency assessment, which found that demand for early years provision currently exceeds capacity.
Justin Elder, managing director of Early Start Nurseries, said: “Having worked in children and family services for 20 years and delivered outstanding outcomes for the borough’s children, this new venture will allow me to bring all my experience to the fore.
You may also want to watch:
“It is a great opportunity to further drive up standards of childcare in Newham and as a joint owned employee trust we will really be able to value and reward our staff.”
The company will use key elements of the early years curriculum and an evidence based approach called Five to Thrive to help support parents to meet the specific physical, emotional, social, health and intellectual needs of their children.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 7 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 10 Women's FA Cup: West Ham 11 Chichester & Selsey 0
Early Start will also closely monitor the progress of babies and pre-school children to ensure they are reaching the appropriate milestones for their ability.
Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham, said: “There is a clear gap in the market for high quality childcare especially with our growing young population. “Establishing this Early Start Education Limited will enable us to continue to support our residents now and in the future.”