New extension at Beckton school gives children six new classrooms
- Credit: Archant
Staff and children at a primary school attended the opening of a new £1.7 million extension which has given them six extra classrooms.
The senior choir at Gallions Primary School in Beckton sang at the entrance to the new wing which was opened by the deputy mayor of Newham councillor Lester Hudson cut the ribbon on Wednesday (Oct 16).
He was joined by councillor Alec Kellaway and school councillor Harriet Goodman. Visitors were given a tour of the Green Wing which leads to the new playground. There was a speech by Paul Jackson, the head teacher, and a drinks reception.
The new extension allows the school to take more pupils and gives staff additional space for creative lessons. The school can now offer practical and quiet areas, and separate playgrounds for Year 1 and 2 children.
There is a new cooking room, film editing suite and studio, a science lab, role play area and design and technology workroom.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Paul Jackson said: “Having been at Gallions on the first day it opened as a small, less than one-form entry school, to be part of this exciting journey and now seeing this expansion and growth to three-form entry has been truly inspirational. The children are incredibly lucky to have access to the outstanding facilities that we offer.
“We look forward to opening our doors to many more pupils in the future and to the next steps on the Gallions’ journey.”
- 1 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 2 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
- 3 West Ham 1 Burnley 0: How the Hammers rated
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 Tottenham take Super League spoils at West Ham
- 6 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Footage shows crowd piling onto train at Canning Town station