New extension at Beckton school gives children six new classrooms
- Credit: Archant
Staff and children at a primary school attended the opening of a new £1.7 million extension which has given them six extra classrooms.
The senior choir at Gallions Primary School in Beckton sang at the entrance to the new wing which was opened by the deputy mayor of Newham councillor Lester Hudson cut the ribbon on Wednesday (Oct 16).
He was joined by councillor Alec Kellaway and school councillor Harriet Goodman. Visitors were given a tour of the Green Wing which leads to the new playground. There was a speech by Paul Jackson, the head teacher, and a drinks reception.
The new extension allows the school to take more pupils and gives staff additional space for creative lessons. The school can now offer practical and quiet areas, and separate playgrounds for Year 1 and 2 children.
There is a new cooking room, film editing suite and studio, a science lab, role play area and design and technology workroom.
You may also want to watch:
Headteacher Paul Jackson said: “Having been at Gallions on the first day it opened as a small, less than one-form entry school, to be part of this exciting journey and now seeing this expansion and growth to three-form entry has been truly inspirational. The children are incredibly lucky to have access to the outstanding facilities that we offer.
“We look forward to opening our doors to many more pupils in the future and to the next steps on the Gallions’ journey.”
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 3 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 College teacher: Students and teachers 'lose trust' over government's Covid response
- 8 Hammers 'will keep fighting' says Fornals ahead of derby date
- 9 Leyton Orient still not at the level top sides are says boss Jobi McAnuff
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0