New designer selected for Stratford university build
A new designer has been brought in to take forward plans for a �33 million university building in Stratford.
AWW was nominated to take over the project from MAKE architects by contractor VolkerFitzpatrick after it won the bid for the joint University of East London and Birkbeck scheme in University Square on Stratford Island.
Work is expected to begin on the project in the autumn and be completed by spring 2013.
The centre, which is possibly the first time two higher education institutions have worked together to create a shared building, will provide full- and part-time education facilities for 3,400 students.
It will house a number of specialist departments from each university, including a school of law and cutting edge performing arts facilities, along with a range of general teaching and learning accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme, which has received financial backing from the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation (LTGDC), was launched by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales in March this year.
- 1 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 2 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 3 Can you help find man missing from Royal Docks?
- 4 East London road and rail disruptions to travel this weekend
- 5 Goodmayes racer Alex Lynn and title leader Sam Bird preview London E-Prix
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House