New designer selected for Stratford university build
A new designer has been brought in to take forward plans for a �33 million university building in Stratford.
AWW was nominated to take over the project from MAKE architects by contractor VolkerFitzpatrick after it won the bid for the joint University of East London and Birkbeck scheme in University Square on Stratford Island.
Work is expected to begin on the project in the autumn and be completed by spring 2013.
The centre, which is possibly the first time two higher education institutions have worked together to create a shared building, will provide full- and part-time education facilities for 3,400 students.
It will house a number of specialist departments from each university, including a school of law and cutting edge performing arts facilities, along with a range of general teaching and learning accommodation.
You may also want to watch:
The scheme, which has received financial backing from the London Thames Gateway Development Corporation (LTGDC), was launched by London Mayor Boris Johnson and Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales in March this year.
- 1 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 2 Front-runners for Leyton Orient vacancy after Ross Embleton departure
- 3 Police investigate burglary and injury at 'cannabis' house
- 4 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 5 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 6 Eight-year-old girl from Canning Town publishes book to help children with grief
- 7 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 8 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 9 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street
- 10 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station