Melting pot Plaistow school wins diversity award
- Credit: Archant
A school has won a prize for integrating pupils from diverse backgrounds.
Lister Community School in St Mary’s Road, Plaistow, was praised for the way it used the pupil premium, additional money given to all publicly funded schools in England, to help disadvantaged pupils.
Staff and children were presented certificates for the Inclusion Expert Award of Excellence for Pupil Premium at a ceremony at the House of Commons by Paralympic triple gold equestrian medallist Sophie Christiansen.
Deputy head Eileen Griffin said the composition of the school was diverse with many pupils speaking English as an additional language and 10 per cent of students having learning difficulties.
She continued: “We have put effort into Gangline, a charity devoted to reducing the culture of gangs, an issue of significance in the locality. Youth workers support students at risk and help them to feel part of society, rather than be left out.
“As a result we have students who do not associate merely in ethnic groupings but get on noticeably well and achieve success together.”
Award founder and education consultant Daniel Sobel said: “I define a socially inclusive school or college as one where all children are cared for, taught well, enjoy success, their differences are respected and they are developing into good citizens.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 4 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 7 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 8 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 9 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 10 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
“The staff at Lister are to be applauded for their commitment and dedication to making sure that every child feels valued and involved.”