London City Airport launches mentoring scheme to boost aspirations
- Credit: London City Airport
A mentoring scheme aimed at raising youngsters' aspirations has been launched.
It will see London City Airport workers offer support and guidance to pupils with the aim of helping them prepare for life after school.
The Royal Docks-based flights hub teamed up with careers charity 15BillionEBP for the project.
Nazmin Begum, community engagement executive at London City, said: "The Covid-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on our communities and young people have been hit hard.
"The airport has a strong track record of recruiting locally and we hope this scheme will raise the aspirations of young east Londoners and create pathways to further education and employment."
Rezaul Hussain, head of business development and partnerships at 15BillionEBP, said: "We’re delighted to be partnering up with London City Airport."
Johanna Thompson, principal at Oasis Academy Silvertown, said: "We are ambitious and aspirational for all students and are thankful to 15BillionEBP and London City Airport for this excellent opportunity."
- 1 RideLondon 2022: East and central London roads among 100 miles of closures
- 2 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 3 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in east London
- 4 Three in custody over knifepoint robbery in East Ham after foot chase
- 5 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 6 Seven men charged following cannabis factory fight
- 7 Maskless passengers on London trains and buses fined 4,000 times
- 8 Burrard Road stabbing: Plea date set for Custom House murder accused
- 9 Plaistow police officer to face GBH trial after man left paralysed
- 10 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
The programme runs from this month until July 2022.