Kingsford Community School pupils win trip to China in language contest
- Credit: Kingsford Community School
Pupils from a Beckton school have grabbed a gong at a Mandarin Chinese language contest.
The skilled six won a trip to China after taking first place in the National Mandarin Speaking Competition’s group speaking category.
Amari Webb-Martin, Anamaria Stefania Andrei, Henna Khan, Danish Mahmood, Izabela Ivanova and Amna Nadeem bested a number of top private schools including Westminster and Highgate to claim the top spot.
Headteacher Joan Deslandes said she was “deeply proud” of the youngsters.
“I knew that the opportunity to learn this rich and incredibly useful language would open many doors for my pupils,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sure that for these pupils their trip to China will be just the first of many.”
Another pupil at the school in Kingsford Way, Seher Nadeem, came third in the individual speaking category.
- 1 Traffic cameras installed to catch Newham drivers who ignore road signs
- 2 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 3 Foodbank offering lifeline to foreign students left destitute by pandemic
- 4 Parking charges, Covid, unneutered cats and driving into London
- 5 Man arrested after car smashes into house in Maryland
- 6 Plans for special needs hub at Little Ilford School given green light
- 7 Guilty: Men from Forest Gate and East Ham who raped two women during brothel robbery
- 8 East Ham barber disappointed by Covid-19 lockdown easing roadmap
- 9 Person found dead on tracks at Plaistow Underground station
- 10 Upminster killer boasted about hacking teen to death with machete in street