Kingsford Community School pupils win trip to China in language contest
- Credit: Kingsford Community School
Pupils from a Beckton school have grabbed a gong at a Mandarin Chinese language contest.
The skilled six won a trip to China after taking first place in the National Mandarin Speaking Competition’s group speaking category.
Amari Webb-Martin, Anamaria Stefania Andrei, Henna Khan, Danish Mahmood, Izabela Ivanova and Amna Nadeem bested a number of top private schools including Westminster and Highgate to claim the top spot.
Headteacher Joan Deslandes said she was “deeply proud” of the youngsters.
“I knew that the opportunity to learn this rich and incredibly useful language would open many doors for my pupils,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sure that for these pupils their trip to China will be just the first of many.”
Another pupil at the school in Kingsford Way, Seher Nadeem, came third in the individual speaking category.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election