Kingsford Community School pupils win trip to China in language contest
- Credit: Kingsford Community School
Pupils from a Beckton school have grabbed a gong at a Mandarin Chinese language contest.
The skilled six won a trip to China after taking first place in the National Mandarin Speaking Competition’s group speaking category.
Amari Webb-Martin, Anamaria Stefania Andrei, Henna Khan, Danish Mahmood, Izabela Ivanova and Amna Nadeem bested a number of top private schools including Westminster and Highgate to claim the top spot.
Headteacher Joan Deslandes said she was “deeply proud” of the youngsters.
“I knew that the opportunity to learn this rich and incredibly useful language would open many doors for my pupils,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sure that for these pupils their trip to China will be just the first of many.”
Another pupil at the school in Kingsford Way, Seher Nadeem, came third in the individual speaking category.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 4 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 7 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford
- 8 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
- 9 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 10 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final