Kingsford Community School pupils win trip to China in language contest
- Credit: Kingsford Community School
Pupils from a Beckton school have grabbed a gong at a Mandarin Chinese language contest.
The skilled six won a trip to China after taking first place in the National Mandarin Speaking Competition’s group speaking category.
Amari Webb-Martin, Anamaria Stefania Andrei, Henna Khan, Danish Mahmood, Izabela Ivanova and Amna Nadeem bested a number of top private schools including Westminster and Highgate to claim the top spot.
Headteacher Joan Deslandes said she was “deeply proud” of the youngsters.
“I knew that the opportunity to learn this rich and incredibly useful language would open many doors for my pupils,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I am sure that for these pupils their trip to China will be just the first of many.”
Another pupil at the school in Kingsford Way, Seher Nadeem, came third in the individual speaking category.
- 1 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 2 Manor Park Fitness Centre closing to make way for 'affordable' homes
- 3 Two hospitalised as 60 firefighters tackle blaze in Stratford
- 4 92 arrests as police respond to community concerns about crime
- 5 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 6 Stephen Timms 'cannot forgive attacker without meeting face-to-face'
- 7 Westfield Stratford City reopens after shop fire caused by electrical fault
- 8 Newham to 'bring back the broom' as recycling gets boost
- 9 Fast food! Lewis Hamilton-backed chain opening east London branches
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber