Jamie Oliver sets up Ministry in Stratford
Jamie Oliver chose Stratford to open his first “Ministry of Food” in London, teaching University of East London students how to cook as they celebrated Freshers Week.
Based at UEL’s Stratford Campus, the Ministry of Food will host two-hour classes by professional chefs to provide people with the skills to cook healthy and affordable meals.
Jamie chose Stratford to open his first London Ministry, in addition to his others in Bradford, Leeds, Rotherham and Newcastle, because of the young, diverse community in Newham, describing the borough as “the natural home for the first ever Ministry of Food in London.”
The Ministry started by gathering new students under marquees on the lawns of UEL’s Docklands Campus where sampled dishes created by professional chefs before their eyes, such as “Chilli Con Jamie” and Chicken Chow Mein.
Graham Curtis, pro vice-chancellor for Learning, Teaching and Student Experience, said: “It’s all too easy for students to rely on fast food these days but these sessions demonstrate taht it’s far more rewarding, healthier and less expensive to learn to cook for yourself.
“It was great to have professional chefs from Jamie’s Ministry of Food on campus and the students really enjoyed themselves.”
Cookery classes will begin on Thursday October 6 from 12pm to 2pm and 2pm to 4pm in the Cass School of Education and Communities Building at UEL’s Stratford Campus.
- 1 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 2 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 3 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 4 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 7 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 8 Report: 'Significant improvement' in Newham's parks
- 9 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 10 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
Staff, students and residents from the local community can sign up to attend at www.bit.ly/JamiesMOF, by emailing email@example.com or by calling 0208 129 9085.