Inspirational young woman from Bethnal Green up for Prince’s award
- Credit: Archant
An inspirational young woman is in the running for a royal award after she overcame severe depression to fulfill her dream of becoming a doctor.
Afsana Benozir, 20, from Bethnal Green, is one of four people in the UK nominated for the Samsung Young Achiever Award at The Prince’s Trust and Samsung Celebrate Success Awards next month.
Afsana thought she would have to give up her medical aspirations because she had to leave school after admitting herself to hospital following two failed suicide attempts.
She had been self-harming from the age of 12 and psychotherapy sessions revealed that Afsana had been suffering abuse from a family friend from the age of six.
After moving out of the family home, a support worker referred her to a personal development course with The Prince’s Trust Team to help build her confidence and give her a positive outlook on life.
You may also want to watch:
Afsana has taken up volunteering and she recently completed a Medical and Biomedicine college course with distinction and she hopes to study medicine at university next year.
She said: “Hand on heart, if it wasn’t for the support and experience I received from The Prince’s Trust, I would most likely not be here today.”
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 2 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 5 Early front-runners for Leyton Orient managerial vacancy
- 6 Player ratings: Coufal shines as West Ham fall to Everton defeat
- 7 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 8 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 9 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 10 We're down, but not out insists West Ham boss Moyes after Everton loss
The Prince of Wales’ charity has now invited her to a special ceremony at the Leicester Square Odeon on March 26, hosted by TV presenters Ant and Dec, with celebrity guests such as DJ Mark Ronson and actor Idris Elba.
Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: “Afsana has shown that, with the right support, anyone can reach their goals and maximise their potential.
“She is a fantastic example to other young people in my constituency and is thoroughly deserving of this nomination.”