Inspirational young woman from Bethnal Green up for Prince’s award
- Credit: Archant
An inspirational young woman is in the running for a royal award after she overcame severe depression to fulfill her dream of becoming a doctor.
Afsana Benozir, 20, from Bethnal Green, is one of four people in the UK nominated for the Samsung Young Achiever Award at The Prince’s Trust and Samsung Celebrate Success Awards next month.
Afsana thought she would have to give up her medical aspirations because she had to leave school after admitting herself to hospital following two failed suicide attempts.
She had been self-harming from the age of 12 and psychotherapy sessions revealed that Afsana had been suffering abuse from a family friend from the age of six.
After moving out of the family home, a support worker referred her to a personal development course with The Prince’s Trust Team to help build her confidence and give her a positive outlook on life.
You may also want to watch:
Afsana has taken up volunteering and she recently completed a Medical and Biomedicine college course with distinction and she hopes to study medicine at university next year.
She said: “Hand on heart, if it wasn’t for the support and experience I received from The Prince’s Trust, I would most likely not be here today.”
- 1 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 2 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 3 Our planet is in a terrible place
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 6 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 10 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
The Prince of Wales’ charity has now invited her to a special ceremony at the Leicester Square Odeon on March 26, hosted by TV presenters Ant and Dec, with celebrity guests such as DJ Mark Ronson and actor Idris Elba.
Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: “Afsana has shown that, with the right support, anyone can reach their goals and maximise their potential.
“She is a fantastic example to other young people in my constituency and is thoroughly deserving of this nomination.”