Inspirational young woman from Bethnal Green up for Prince’s award
- Credit: Archant
An inspirational young woman is in the running for a royal award after she overcame severe depression to fulfill her dream of becoming a doctor.
Afsana Benozir, 20, from Bethnal Green, is one of four people in the UK nominated for the Samsung Young Achiever Award at The Prince’s Trust and Samsung Celebrate Success Awards next month.
Afsana thought she would have to give up her medical aspirations because she had to leave school after admitting herself to hospital following two failed suicide attempts.
She had been self-harming from the age of 12 and psychotherapy sessions revealed that Afsana had been suffering abuse from a family friend from the age of six.
After moving out of the family home, a support worker referred her to a personal development course with The Prince’s Trust Team to help build her confidence and give her a positive outlook on life.
You may also want to watch:
Afsana has taken up volunteering and she recently completed a Medical and Biomedicine college course with distinction and she hopes to study medicine at university next year.
She said: “Hand on heart, if it wasn’t for the support and experience I received from The Prince’s Trust, I would most likely not be here today.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 3 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 4 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Player ratings: Cresswell shines for West Ham in KRC Genk victory
- 10 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
The Prince of Wales’ charity has now invited her to a special ceremony at the Leicester Square Odeon on March 26, hosted by TV presenters Ant and Dec, with celebrity guests such as DJ Mark Ronson and actor Idris Elba.
Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: “Afsana has shown that, with the right support, anyone can reach their goals and maximise their potential.
“She is a fantastic example to other young people in my constituency and is thoroughly deserving of this nomination.”