Inspirational young woman from Bethnal Green up for Prince’s award
- Credit: Archant
An inspirational young woman is in the running for a royal award after she overcame severe depression to fulfill her dream of becoming a doctor.
Afsana Benozir, 20, from Bethnal Green, is one of four people in the UK nominated for the Samsung Young Achiever Award at The Prince’s Trust and Samsung Celebrate Success Awards next month.
Afsana thought she would have to give up her medical aspirations because she had to leave school after admitting herself to hospital following two failed suicide attempts.
She had been self-harming from the age of 12 and psychotherapy sessions revealed that Afsana had been suffering abuse from a family friend from the age of six.
After moving out of the family home, a support worker referred her to a personal development course with The Prince’s Trust Team to help build her confidence and give her a positive outlook on life.
Afsana has taken up volunteering and she recently completed a Medical and Biomedicine college course with distinction and she hopes to study medicine at university next year.
She said: “Hand on heart, if it wasn’t for the support and experience I received from The Prince’s Trust, I would most likely not be here today.”
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 3 'Suspicious' Forest Gate construction fire under investigation
- 4 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 5 Schools and staff across east London up for national awards
- 6 Third straight win takes Newham top of the table
- 7 Romford West Ham fan accused of harassing Jewish man on flight
- 8 Cycle paths joined up in Aldgate creates 'safe route' through east London
- 9 'Staffing crisis' impacts hospice's end of life care service
- 10 Warnings issued after four fox clubs found stuck in old car wheels
The Prince of Wales’ charity has now invited her to a special ceremony at the Leicester Square Odeon on March 26, hosted by TV presenters Ant and Dec, with celebrity guests such as DJ Mark Ronson and actor Idris Elba.
Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, said: “Afsana has shown that, with the right support, anyone can reach their goals and maximise their potential.
“She is a fantastic example to other young people in my constituency and is thoroughly deserving of this nomination.”