Heroes drop into Beckton school to raise spirits
Morning assembly was an uplifting experience for these Beckton students when two community heroes dropped in to deliver an inspirational message.
Kingsford Community School was the first stop on the “Spirit of London Inspirational Road Show”, a touring event to bring heroes directly to young people.
The Spirit of London Awards is an annual ceremony set up by the Damiola Taylor Trust to celebrate positive, young role models in the capital.
Following this year’s awards, the Beckton students were treated to two special assemblies held by Richard Taylor OBE, who has campaigned tirelessly to lift local communities ever since the death of his son Damiola in November 2000, and BAFTA-nominated actor/writer Adam Deacon, creator of acclaimed drama ”Kidulthood”.
Richard and Adam also sat on the judging panel for the Spirit of London Awards with the likes of Leona Lewis and Brooke Kinsella.
Gary Trowsdale from the Damiola Taylor Trust said the Kingsford Way school was a “wonderful school with fantastic staff. Credit to the borough and one of best schools we have taken the road show to across London.”
Headteacher Joan Deslandes said: “I would like to thank the members of the Damilola Taylor Trust for visiting Kingsford today with Adam Deacon and for inspiring our students to aim high and shine the brightest they can be, in whatever ambition they choose to follow.
- 1 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 2 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 3 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 4 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 5 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 6 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 7 Extreme heat: Met Office issues warning as temperatures set to soar
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 10 We need a couple of bodies says Leyton Orient boss Wellens
“Adam’s success has been achieved not just through his talent but also because of his determination and strong work ethic.
“His visit was therefore a great opportunity for pupils to further understand that realising their dreams and ambitions requires dedication, enthusiasm and total commitment.
“The session he lead kept students engaged, excited as well as focused on the requirements for success and they thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.
“He offered pupils advice about the importance of focused hard work and the challenges on the path to success, that will stand them in good stead for a long time to come.
“Every student was definitely inspired and found the whole presentation fulfilling.”
To find out more about the Spirit of London Awards, visit www.spiritoflondonawards.com.