New scholarship removes barriers to university for disadvantaged pupils
- Credit: Here East,
A scholarship programme will support disadvantaged young people in Newham and Tower Hamlets through higher education courses at world-class universities.
Here East innovation and technology campus in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has launched the programme in partnership with two institutions based there: Staffordshire University London and Liverpool Media Academy (LMA).
The programme, which starts in September and will support three people to study at undergraduate level at Here East, is open to secondary school pupils living in one of the four boroughs surrounding Olympic Park.
Here East chief executive Gavin Poole said: “Many young people face barriers in attending university due to socio-economic circumstances in our surrounding areas and it is right that we work to remove these barriers to ensure students can live up to their full potential."
Scholarships will provide full undergraduate tuition, a maintenance loan supplement worth £2,700 a year, facilitation of relevant work experience placements within the Here East business network and mentoring opportunities.
The programme is particularly aimed at students who are the first in their families to go to university, who face financial barriers in attending university, or are caregivers.
LMA co-founder Richard Wallace said: “We pride ourselves on having over 60per cent of LMA students being 'first in family to university' with an inclusive ethos that reflects the diversity of our local communities.
- 1 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 2 Ex-nurse laid decomposing 'on display' after Met Police searches missed body in flat
- 3 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 4 Leyton Orient 'got away with one' at Crawley says Wellens
- 5 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 6 Man arrested and bailed as Custom House stabbing victim recovers
- 7 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
- 8 Motorist who 'appeared to be driving at other vehicles' in Essex arrested
- 9 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 10 Boys locked up for murdering 14-year-old Fares Maatou
“The Here East Scholarship further supports this ethos to allow talented young people the chance to realise their potential."
The participating institutions offer a range of undergraduate courses across multiple disciplines.
Staffordshire University London courses focus on future digital and technical innovations in computer sciences, cyber security, concept art for games and film, esports and games design.
LMA courses include digital film and TV production, music performance, acting, dance and musical theatre.
Staffordshire University London Digital Institute director Matt Brindley-Sadler said: “Our courses focus on future technologies and growth industries by providing routes for students to achieve their career goals.”