Headteachers meet for special reunion at Manor Park school
- Credit: Jonathan Parr
Two heads are better than one, as the old saying goes – so what about three?
Former Essex Primary School pupils Sally Norris and Joanne Butler, who have grown up and become headteachers themselves, paid a visit to their former school and met current head Rosie Cowan.
The sisters, who had been pupils at the Sheridan Road, Manor Park school in the 1970s, were accompanied by parents Jackie and Colin Norris– the latter having also studied there during the 1950s.
They pored over newspaper clippings, school photo albums and log books, which included details about how the school celebrated VJ Day and welcomed back evacuees.
Rosie, who had taught Joanne during her time at Essex, gave the family a guided tour, discussing the new developments and what had remained unchanged.
Joanne, who has been head of St Paul’s in Buckinghamshire since January, and Sally, who takes up her post at William Davies Primary School in Forest Gate this September, were introduced to current pupils – including a girl who sits where Joanne used to.
Rosie said: “This is an exciting reunion and what teaching is all about. I have never been in any doubt as to just how much the pupils who learn, play and grow in this school can achieve but I am so pleased that the pupils themselves have been able to see what they can do in the future by meeting people who have been at the school and have gone on to do great things.
- 1 60 firefighters deal with Plaistow tower block fire
- 2 Revealed: Cause of Plaistow tower block fire which left 5 men in hospital
- 3 Revealed: Cause of terraced houses blaze in East Ham
- 4 Bow Lock murder defendants blame each other for fatal attack
- 5 East Ham fire: Terraced houses damaged by blaze as woman treated at scene
- 6 Moncur 'overwhelmed' to join Leyton Orient
- 7 Series of failures sees Met Police placed under special measures
- 8 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 9 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 10 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
“Having several generations of Essex pupils in one room like that was a wonderful sight and I look forward to seeing just how much Sally and Joanne go on to achieve in their own headships.”