Grime artist performs at Newham College
Students at Newham College got their new common room off to a grimey start when they invited a local superstar MC to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony.
D Double E, an MC with hip hop collective the Newham Generals, came back to the area to open a new common room at Newham College on High Street South, East Ham.
The refurbished enrichment area on the seventh floor has a section for mature students and another section for younger students, TVs in every area, and a kettle so the students do not have to go down to the canteen for a warm drink.
A spokesman from the College said the new area “catered more to the diversity of the student body” and everyone was very pleased with the result.
Work on the new common room took months of planning and work and the students wanted to give the common room a hip hop opening on Monday January 9.
You may also want to watch:
The school approached D Double E because the popular rap outfit are based in nearby Forest Gate.
They said the MC was pleased to make an appearance at Newham College where he spent some time meeting the students, talking to them about the Newham Generals, as well as signing autographs CDs and posters.
- 1 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 8 Canning town bus station reopens after falling glass injures man
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
D Double E, who is signed to Dizzee Rascal’s label Dirtee Stank, even took the time to perform two tracks for the assembled fans from the Newham Generals’ 2010 album “Generally Speaking”, which he made with bandmates Footsie and and Marky Hudson.
The grime artist cut the ribbon surrounded by exciteable fans before dashing back home to pick up some equipment and getting back to work in the studio.