Grime artist performs at Newham College
Students at Newham College got their new common room off to a grimey start when they invited a local superstar MC to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony.
D Double E, an MC with hip hop collective the Newham Generals, came back to the area to open a new common room at Newham College on High Street South, East Ham.
The refurbished enrichment area on the seventh floor has a section for mature students and another section for younger students, TVs in every area, and a kettle so the students do not have to go down to the canteen for a warm drink.
A spokesman from the College said the new area “catered more to the diversity of the student body” and everyone was very pleased with the result.
Work on the new common room took months of planning and work and the students wanted to give the common room a hip hop opening on Monday January 9.
You may also want to watch:
The school approached D Double E because the popular rap outfit are based in nearby Forest Gate.
They said the MC was pleased to make an appearance at Newham College where he spent some time meeting the students, talking to them about the Newham Generals, as well as signing autographs CDs and posters.
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 5 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 6 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 9 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 10 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
D Double E, who is signed to Dizzee Rascal’s label Dirtee Stank, even took the time to perform two tracks for the assembled fans from the Newham Generals’ 2010 album “Generally Speaking”, which he made with bandmates Footsie and and Marky Hudson.
The grime artist cut the ribbon surrounded by exciteable fans before dashing back home to pick up some equipment and getting back to work in the studio.