Grime artist performs at Newham College
Students at Newham College got their new common room off to a grimey start when they invited a local superstar MC to attend the ribbon cutting ceremony.
D Double E, an MC with hip hop collective the Newham Generals, came back to the area to open a new common room at Newham College on High Street South, East Ham.
The refurbished enrichment area on the seventh floor has a section for mature students and another section for younger students, TVs in every area, and a kettle so the students do not have to go down to the canteen for a warm drink.
A spokesman from the College said the new area “catered more to the diversity of the student body” and everyone was very pleased with the result.
Work on the new common room took months of planning and work and the students wanted to give the common room a hip hop opening on Monday January 9.
You may also want to watch:
The school approached D Double E because the popular rap outfit are based in nearby Forest Gate.
They said the MC was pleased to make an appearance at Newham College where he spent some time meeting the students, talking to them about the Newham Generals, as well as signing autographs CDs and posters.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 5 New partnership to provide scholarships for Newham law students
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 David Moyes does not want to be hammered for another striking mistake
D Double E, who is signed to Dizzee Rascal’s label Dirtee Stank, even took the time to perform two tracks for the assembled fans from the Newham Generals’ 2010 album “Generally Speaking”, which he made with bandmates Footsie and and Marky Hudson.
The grime artist cut the ribbon surrounded by exciteable fans before dashing back home to pick up some equipment and getting back to work in the studio.