Girl guide Ejide is smiles better as she earns prize
� A girl guide from East Ham was all smiles when she was honoured at a Jack Petchey Foundation (JPF) Achievement Awards ceremony.
Ejide Tondu, 11, received a medallion, framed certificate and �200 for her guide group at a special ceremony at the Kenneth More Theatre in Ilford.
The delighted youngster, who was rewarded for her work at the Plaistow Seventh Division Brownies and Guides, said: “I was honoured and really happy to get the award.
“I was very surprised to get it and it felt a bit scary to get up on the stage.”
Ejide was singled out by her peers and guide leaders for her reliable, kind, caring, cheerful and supportive nature and for demonstrating leadership skills and willingness to take on more responsibility.
You may also want to watch:
Ejide, who has been a guide for two years, said: “I love everything about it.
“It is really great, especially the trips and the guide leaders.”
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 3 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 4 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 7 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 8 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
- 9 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 10 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
Other winners from the Newham division, which meets at Christ Church in Barking Road, Canning Town, were Nicole Whitnell, Jordan Geach, Grace Scoresby-Little, Kirselle Basilio, Katherine Fonseca and Lara Harris.
The ceremony recognised 51 young people for their achievements.
The JPF awards scheme donates �12,600 every year to guides in east London.
A spokesman for the Foundation said: “All the winners are a real credit to themselves and their families.”