GCSEs: Science success for Manor Park’s Little Ilford School
- Credit: Archant
Science may be an increasingly unpopular choice nationally but students at Little Ilford School gained a heap of top grades in the subject.
Around 77 per cent of students achieved the gold standard A* to C grade for core science, 85 per cent for additional science, and 100 per cent in single science subjects despite a national fall in figures by 7 per cent.
Brainy students also bucked the national trend in maths with 76 per cent gaining top grades.
Despite most students entering the school in Browning Road, Manor Park, with attainment below the national average, 60 per cent of Year 11s achieved A* to C grades compared with 71 per cent last year, reflecting a fall in grades nationally.
One success story was Galal Imtiaz who gained eight A*s, two As, and a Distinction.
He said: “I made sure I read every day, anything I didn’t understand in class, I researched further at home, I am so happy that all of the hard work has finally paid off.”
The highest achieving girl at the school was Yoshna Mepani with seven A*s, three As, a Distinction and a C in additional maths.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
She said: “The exams were really tough, but I had a lot of support from staff to help me through it all.”
Headteacher Ian Wilson added: “I am delighted for the students that have worked so hard.
“This represents the culmination of five. years of hard work.”