Former Olympics rower Sir Steve Redgrave shares experiences in Canning Town
Five times Olympic rowing Gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave spent time with Canning Town pupils inspiring them with tales of his sporting experiences.
The former Olympian was visiting Hallsville Primary School as a sports ambassador for a national programme, Matalan Sporting Promise, to encourage schoolchildren to take up sport.
It was launched last year across 5,000 schools but aims to double the figure by the end of 2013. The programme is in two parts: one for primary schools while the other concentrates on secondary schools and young people who may not want to take up traditional sports.
Sir Steve Redgrave, who has been involved with the programme since it was launched, said he was impressed by the children.
They had organised a special assembly, read a poem and asked him many questions.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “Having been around other parts of the country, they were a little bit more confident not just about their abilities but their whole demeanour and they they come from a school which has a strong sporting emphasis.
- 1 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 2 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 3 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
- 6 Silvertown, North Woolwich heritage project offers opportunity to history buff
- 7 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
- 8 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 9 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 10 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
“They read a a poem they had written themselves about the Olympics and they were absolutely engaging and high quality.”
He said it was particularly important for children to realise there is no such thing as instant success, whether on the sports field or in talent shows.
They both require a great deal of hard work and practice.
Keri Edge, headteacher, said: “Matalan Sporting Promise is a fun and exciting way to engage young people in a whole range of sports and physical activity.
“Our pupils have loved the PE lessons this summer and it has been really exciting to have Sir Steve here today to get involved in these sessions and to show his support.”