Forest Gate students make it to the final of Lee Valley Cup competition
A group of Newham students have made it through to the final of the annual Lee Valley Cup after competing against schools from across London, Essex and Hertfordshire.
Students from a St Angela’s Ursuline School in Forest Gate will now take part in the final, due to take place on Wednesday. It will be held at the award winning Lee Valley Athletics Centre where the Year 10 and 11 youngsters have been competing in nine indoor track events to secure their place.
Since 2007, Lee Valley Athletics Centre in Edmonton, north London has hosted this major indoor schools event, which is a firm favourite amongst boroughs in the region.
Held in after school hours, the format for this year’s competition consisted of two preliminary qualifying heats with eight schools making it through to the final. Competing in the final for the 2013 coveted trophy include schools from Watford, Havering, Dartford, Enfield, Newham, Castle Point and Tower Hamlets.
Lee Valley Athletics Centre Manager, Mick Bond said: “Congratulations to St Angela’s Ursuline School for making it to the final. The students were up against some stiff competition so they have performed extremely well to reach this stage.
You may also want to watch:
“Competing in events like the Lee Valley Cup is often the first step to joining a club and long term participation in the sport. We are very proud to be organising this competition once again to help make this happen.”
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover
- 5 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Campaigners stage River Thames protest over Silvertown Tunnel