Forest Gate pupils win places at top uni summer course
- Credit: Archant
Bright pupils from deprived backgrounds have won places at a prestigious summer course at one of the world’s top universities.
Adam Patel, 16, of Forest Gate and Mufeeda Chowdhury, 16, of Forest Gate are among a select few from Forest Gate Community School to be offered places on the University College London Year 11 Summer School in August.
Only pupils that are predicted at least five A/A* at GCSE, come from a deprived background or have parents that didn’t go to university, were accepted on the programme.
Adam, who has already won a £32,000 scholarship to top independent school Latymer in west London, said: “The school really encouraged us to go in for this programme because it would help us with university applications. It will also help us get a good understanding of what life will be like when we go to university.”
Mufeeda said: “It is going to be a bit intimidating going to this big university but it is a great chance for all of us.”
You may also want to watch:
Forest Gate Community School runs a scholarship programme that has helped four pupils win places at top independent schools, including David Cameron’s old school Eton College.
Headteacher Simon Elliott said: “This is a very prestigious programme and only the brightest and most dedicated pupils win places.”
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 7 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 8 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 9 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving