Forest Gate pupils win places at top uni summer course
- Credit: Archant
Bright pupils from deprived backgrounds have won places at a prestigious summer course at one of the world’s top universities.
Adam Patel, 16, of Forest Gate and Mufeeda Chowdhury, 16, of Forest Gate are among a select few from Forest Gate Community School to be offered places on the University College London Year 11 Summer School in August.
Only pupils that are predicted at least five A/A* at GCSE, come from a deprived background or have parents that didn’t go to university, were accepted on the programme.
Adam, who has already won a £32,000 scholarship to top independent school Latymer in west London, said: “The school really encouraged us to go in for this programme because it would help us with university applications. It will also help us get a good understanding of what life will be like when we go to university.”
Mufeeda said: “It is going to be a bit intimidating going to this big university but it is a great chance for all of us.”
You may also want to watch:
Forest Gate Community School runs a scholarship programme that has helped four pupils win places at top independent schools, including David Cameron’s old school Eton College.
Headteacher Simon Elliott said: “This is a very prestigious programme and only the brightest and most dedicated pupils win places.”
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Family sends 'heartfelt thanks' after missing East Ham girl found