Fashion forward for Forest Gate student
A FOREST GATE schoolgirl cried tears of joy after winning one of the categories in a London Fashion Week contest on Monday.
Karmen-Marie Parker, who is in her second year at St Angela’s and St Bonaventures sixth form, collected her Award for Commercial Innovation at the 2010 Fashion Awareness Direct ceremony.
The 17-year-old was also named overall runner-up in the competition after designing a denim jumpsuit inspired by a visit to the V&A’s new medieval and renaissance galleries.
NewVIc student Gurmeet Kaur, 18, also saw her designs on display in front of leading fashion figures, including Zandra Rhodes, in the final of the competition.
Karmen-Marie told the Recorder: “I was ecstatic. I couldn’t believe it. I heard my name called out but I just couldn’t move. I was grateful enough for my outfit to be on the catwalk.”
You may also want to watch:
Following the success of her designs on the runway, Karmen-Marie has been offered a two-week placement in the design studios at River Island and plans on pursuing a career in fashion once she has taken her A-levels.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Man suffers 'life-changing' injuries in Plaistow bicycle crash