Fashion forward for Forest Gate student
A FOREST GATE schoolgirl cried tears of joy after winning one of the categories in a London Fashion Week contest on Monday.
Karmen-Marie Parker, who is in her second year at St Angela’s and St Bonaventures sixth form, collected her Award for Commercial Innovation at the 2010 Fashion Awareness Direct ceremony.
The 17-year-old was also named overall runner-up in the competition after designing a denim jumpsuit inspired by a visit to the V&A’s new medieval and renaissance galleries.
NewVIc student Gurmeet Kaur, 18, also saw her designs on display in front of leading fashion figures, including Zandra Rhodes, in the final of the competition.
Karmen-Marie told the Recorder: “I was ecstatic. I couldn’t believe it. I heard my name called out but I just couldn’t move. I was grateful enough for my outfit to be on the catwalk.”
You may also want to watch:
Following the success of her designs on the runway, Karmen-Marie has been offered a two-week placement in the design studios at River Island and plans on pursuing a career in fashion once she has taken her A-levels.
- 1 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 2 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 3 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 4 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 5 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 8 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 9 Stratford was busiest station on TfL network last year, data reveals
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing