Fashion forward for Forest Gate student
A FOREST GATE schoolgirl cried tears of joy after winning one of the categories in a London Fashion Week contest on Monday.
Karmen-Marie Parker, who is in her second year at St Angela’s and St Bonaventures sixth form, collected her Award for Commercial Innovation at the 2010 Fashion Awareness Direct ceremony.
The 17-year-old was also named overall runner-up in the competition after designing a denim jumpsuit inspired by a visit to the V&A’s new medieval and renaissance galleries.
NewVIc student Gurmeet Kaur, 18, also saw her designs on display in front of leading fashion figures, including Zandra Rhodes, in the final of the competition.
Karmen-Marie told the Recorder: “I was ecstatic. I couldn’t believe it. I heard my name called out but I just couldn’t move. I was grateful enough for my outfit to be on the catwalk.”
You may also want to watch:
Following the success of her designs on the runway, Karmen-Marie has been offered a two-week placement in the design studios at River Island and plans on pursuing a career in fashion once she has taken her A-levels.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 'Hi-tech AI' butcher's shop opening in Stratford