Fashion forward for Forest Gate student
A FOREST GATE schoolgirl cried tears of joy after winning one of the categories in a London Fashion Week contest on Monday.
Karmen-Marie Parker, who is in her second year at St Angela’s and St Bonaventures sixth form, collected her Award for Commercial Innovation at the 2010 Fashion Awareness Direct ceremony.
The 17-year-old was also named overall runner-up in the competition after designing a denim jumpsuit inspired by a visit to the V&A’s new medieval and renaissance galleries.
NewVIc student Gurmeet Kaur, 18, also saw her designs on display in front of leading fashion figures, including Zandra Rhodes, in the final of the competition.
Karmen-Marie told the Recorder: “I was ecstatic. I couldn’t believe it. I heard my name called out but I just couldn’t move. I was grateful enough for my outfit to be on the catwalk.”
You may also want to watch:
Following the success of her designs on the runway, Karmen-Marie has been offered a two-week placement in the design studios at River Island and plans on pursuing a career in fashion once she has taken her A-levels.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 8 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues