Expansion of four Newham primary schools planned
- Credit: PA WIRE
The expansion of a number of the borough’s primary schools are a step closer to becoming reality.
Pre-procurement reports for expanding Drew, Selwyn and Tollgate primary schools have been agreed by the Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales.
In addition, the awarding of a construction contract for Cleves Primary School was also agreed.
The decisions were made during mayoral proceedings yesterday evening.
A report states that the contracct for expanding Cleves Primary School, Arragon Road, Upton Park, will cost around £2.5million and will be funded by the schools capital programme.
You may also want to watch:
It will see the construction of an additional six classrooms in a new two-storey building, along with a room for group work and toilets.
Existing wings at the school will receive some refurbishment to increase classroom sizes.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 'It must be urgently addressed': New research into BAME Covid impact
- 3 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 4 Leyton Orient boss Embleton could rotate team for Bolton trip
- 5 Artist plans window exhibition to put Newham's artistic talent on the map
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 West Ham forward Alisha Lehmann joins Everton on loan
- 8 'Clearly insufficient' - Canning Town teacher in charge of foodbank talks free school meal hampers
- 9 This is what we want to show everyone says Hammers star Tomas Soucek
- 10 £10.1m grant strategy approved to support businesses as pandemic continues
The proposals for Drew Primary School, Wythes Road, Silvertown, include an additional sports hall, four classrooms and resource space.
Additional classrooms are also planned for Selwyn Primary School, Cavendish Road, Plaistow, and Tollgate Primary School, Barclay Road, Plaistow.
The latter will be able to expand from two forms of entry to three.
Cllr Rev Quintin Peppiatt, cabinet member for children and young people, said: “We have 90 per cent of pupils getting into their first choice primary school and over 97pc getting into their first three.
“We are expanding the choices we are offering to pupils in our borough.”
Cabinet members also agreed to issue a public notice outlining the proposal to expand Tollgate Primary School from two to three forms, beginning in September 2018.