Employment opportunities open up for aspiring artists at Stratford’s Rosetta Arts Centre
Opportunities are opening up for students at the Rosetta Arts Centre in Stratford as three budding artists are employed by local companies and a new certificate is launched.
The Young Newham Artists, a project for 16 to 24-year-olds run by the studio in Hamilton Road, were commissioned to create specially designed artworks for John Sisk and Son, Rial Cafe and East Gallery.
The three lucky students were Herschel Rimando, Sam Ogunsola and Amber Perrier who were taught the required marketing and business skills required to work with the companies by the arts centre.
Herschel was commissioned by Natasha Cox from East Gallery who said: “Herschel is a talented young artist and her generous donation of this vibrant artwork was well received.”
Amber, who was commissioned by John Sisk and Son, said: “The commissioning boosted my confidence as I got the opportunity to experience what it would be like to work self-employed and when I gave my work to Sisk, they loved it.”
You may also want to watch:
In a recent partnership with Birkbeck College, University of London, Rosetta Arts Centre also launched a Certificate of Higher Education in History of Art which is bringing new opportunities to mature artists who may have missed out on university or art college.
Sally Whitehead, a former secretary who is now a student on the course, said: “When I was young, the expectation was a job for life.” But now she says she has the confidence to pursue an artistic career and recently gained employment with the Royal Watercolour Society on the Southbank.
- 1 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 2 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 3 Town hall chiefs back £3m purchase of Plaistow property for rough sleeper centre
- 4 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 5 Arsenal's game in hand with West Ham set for April 28
- 6 Housing campaigners to stage protest in Canning Town over empty homes
- 7 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 8 Newcastle's late Willock winner hits West Ham hopes
- 9 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 10 Operose: Addressing 'understandable' concerns over GP takeover