Educational initiative launched for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
Ambitious college students have the opportunity to take part in an exciting new initiative.
Newham College, Sports & Business and West Ham United Football Foundation have joined forces to introduce the unique training programme will give local young people an exclusive opportunity to develop leadership skills whilst potentially earning at least £100 per week.
The purpose of the programme is to provide an accessible route to gaining work experience with world-class organisations in finance or business.
Spaces are available for 20 young adults to begin training this summer.
Joe Lyons, Chief Executive at West Ham United Foundation said: “It’s a fantastic programme to give local young people an opportunity to get experience behind them and to get them into employment that they wouldn’t normally get, without this partnership”.
You may also want to watch:
Chidera Eze, a current student, joined the first cohort on the programme will soon complete a Level 3 AAT Accounting Course.
She said: “It’s been great to acquire skills in coaching, mentoring and to meet inspirational business people. The work experience has really helped me to discover what I want to do in my career.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 5 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 8 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 9 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
“I feel confident about getting a job in finance and I’ve learned a lot of transferable skills”.
The recruitment process is now underway for the next students to join the programme.
There will be an Open Day from 9.30am – 3.00pm on Tuesday 14th July at West Ham’s Bolelyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park.
For more information email Khadijah.Soopee@newham.ac.uk or Sandra.Rashid@newham.ac.uk