Educational initiative launched for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
Ambitious college students have the opportunity to take part in an exciting new initiative.
Newham College, Sports & Business and West Ham United Football Foundation have joined forces to introduce the unique training programme will give local young people an exclusive opportunity to develop leadership skills whilst potentially earning at least £100 per week.
The purpose of the programme is to provide an accessible route to gaining work experience with world-class organisations in finance or business.
Spaces are available for 20 young adults to begin training this summer.
Joe Lyons, Chief Executive at West Ham United Foundation said: “It’s a fantastic programme to give local young people an opportunity to get experience behind them and to get them into employment that they wouldn’t normally get, without this partnership”.
Chidera Eze, a current student, joined the first cohort on the programme will soon complete a Level 3 AAT Accounting Course.
She said: “It’s been great to acquire skills in coaching, mentoring and to meet inspirational business people. The work experience has really helped me to discover what I want to do in my career.
- 1 3 arrests after death of man found unresponsive in Beckton
- 2 Maryland machete murderer found guilty - as police hunt second attacker
- 3 Man charged with Beckton murder as victim named
- 4 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 5 The Rolling Stones prove rock ‘n’ roll is alive and kicking at Hyde Park
- 6 Guilty: Man murdered woman at bus stop and tried to kill another a day later
- 7 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 8 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 9 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 10 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
“I feel confident about getting a job in finance and I’ve learned a lot of transferable skills”.
The recruitment process is now underway for the next students to join the programme.
There will be an Open Day from 9.30am – 3.00pm on Tuesday 14th July at West Ham’s Bolelyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park.
For more information email Khadijah.Soopee@newham.ac.uk or Sandra.Rashid@newham.ac.uk