Educational initiative launched for Newham students
- Credit: Archant
Ambitious college students have the opportunity to take part in an exciting new initiative.
Newham College, Sports & Business and West Ham United Football Foundation have joined forces to introduce the unique training programme will give local young people an exclusive opportunity to develop leadership skills whilst potentially earning at least £100 per week.
The purpose of the programme is to provide an accessible route to gaining work experience with world-class organisations in finance or business.
Spaces are available for 20 young adults to begin training this summer.
Joe Lyons, Chief Executive at West Ham United Foundation said: “It’s a fantastic programme to give local young people an opportunity to get experience behind them and to get them into employment that they wouldn’t normally get, without this partnership”.
You may also want to watch:
Chidera Eze, a current student, joined the first cohort on the programme will soon complete a Level 3 AAT Accounting Course.
She said: “It’s been great to acquire skills in coaching, mentoring and to meet inspirational business people. The work experience has really helped me to discover what I want to do in my career.
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 6 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
“I feel confident about getting a job in finance and I’ve learned a lot of transferable skills”.
The recruitment process is now underway for the next students to join the programme.
There will be an Open Day from 9.30am – 3.00pm on Tuesday 14th July at West Ham’s Bolelyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park.
For more information email Khadijah.Soopee@newham.ac.uk or Sandra.Rashid@newham.ac.uk