East London students stand to benefit from ArcelorMittal sponsorship
- Credit: Archant
Students from across east London could have their tuition fees, undergraduate bursaries and even researching a PhD paid for by ArcelorMittal.
The company behind the ArcelorMittal Orbit at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has made a major donation to Birkbeck, University of London, to sponsor students in the area.
As part of the three-year gift, called the Learning Ladder, ArcelorMittal will pay for four undergraduate student bursaries, tuition fees for one postgraduate student, and support for a student researching a PhD in crystallography – the study of atomic and molecular structures.
East London criteria
To qualify for the funds, applicants are required to receive a household income of less than £25,000 and live in east London.
You may also want to watch:
Tricia King, Pro-Vice-Master Strategic Engagement and Recruitment, said: “Birkbeck is very grateful for this funding as it will provide opportunities for people otherwise unable to study because of financial constraints. ArcelorMittal’s support will help the College pursue its goal of meeting the growing aspirations of the people of east London.”
Ian Louden, Head of Brand at ArcelorMittal, said: “ArcelorMittal is committed to east London, and that is why we are supporting these educational sponsorships at Birkbeck. The striking ArcelorMittal Orbit is a beacon for regeneration in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. We want our company to be a beacon as well for widening people’s horizons through the power of higher education.”
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
For more information or to apply for the awards, contact Matthew Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 7380 3169.