East London artist is record breaker
A former east London student who captured more than 80,000 images has entered the Guiness World Book of Records for the longest composite photo exhibition.
Clare Newton, a University of East London alumni, has been part of an artist’s initiative cum charitable community project, offering disadvantaged children, special needs children, youth, celebrities and aspirational people to share the achievement and build on their self-esteem.
She recently exhibited what she hoped would be the longest composite photograph exhibition, consisting of 81,663 photos at the ExCeL centre in Custom House. It involved 1200 children and adults across London.
Now the Guiness World Book of Records have awarded her with the title of the longest composite photograph exhibition.
UEL Students and Staff took part in this world record attempt. In the total length of 979m UEL has a massive presence of 1/10th of the photo. The Stratford and Docklands campus are clearly visible in the photographs.
You may also want to watch:
Clare said: “I am thankful for the unbelievable support from the community engagement department of the UEL Students’ Union who were instrumental in making the project a success. UEL Students have made history by taking part in the jump. I hope to maintain the great relations with UEL and the Students’ Union.”
UEL played a very important role; Professor Brian Whiting from the Civil Engineering Surveying and Mapping Sciences Department and six students, officially surveyed and measured the longest photograph and presented their results to the Guinness Officials from which they could make an accurate assessment.
- 1 Bus crashes into lamp post in Stratford
- 2 Start Me Up: Rolling Stones legend Ronnie Wood opens studio in Canning Town for budding musicians
- 3 East Ham cannabis farm raided by police
- 4 Transfer round-up: Leyton Orient bring in eight as departures find new clubs
- 5 'It's about safety': Manor Park neighbours urge council to crack down on pavement parking
- 6 Appeal to help find cat missing from Canning Town
- 7 Leyton Orient could be without key forwards for season opener at Salford
- 8 Meet the weight-loss runner using Newham as a canvas
- 9 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 10 Moyes: It was a good, tough test for West Ham at Brentford