East Ham student’s manners speech scoops top prize
- Credit: Archant
A Newham student has won the top prize in a public speaking challenge with a speech about manners.
Adam Khaliq from Langdon Comprehensive School made his award winning speeech, Manners Maketh a Man, at Lister Community School in the Newham regional final as part of the Jack Petchey Speak Out Challenge.
He said: “Competing was nerve-wracking. I can’t believe I won. This has to be me the most brilliant experience of my life!”
Students from15 schools in Newham took part in the Young Speakers competition, which involved 500 year 10 students, who all received a full day of training in public speaking and effective communication.
Second place went to Nella Ramosova from Eastlea Community School with her speech “A New Country” and third place went to Alexis Marinou from Forest Gate Community School with his speech titled “The Power of Habit.”
You may also want to watch:
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and Lyn Brown MP for West Ham presented the awards. Sir Robin Wales said “The young people were fantastic. The range and depth of the subjects and speeches were funny, moving and wonderful.”
Lyn Brown said: “I was thoroughly impressed by the standard of young people I heard speak here tonight. Their skills and presentation would put many MP’s to shame. I am delighted that young people have this opportunity to have their voice heard. We need more of these events in our society.”
- 1 Neighbour reports 'intolerable' antisocial car meets around ABBA Arena building site
- 2 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 5 Campaigners claim ULEZ expansion benefit 'undone' by Silvertown Tunnel project
- 6 Capacity at West Ham's London stadium to increase to 62,500
- 7 Mapped: Possession of weapons across east London
- 8 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 9 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 10 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
Jack Petchey’s “Speak Out” Challenge! is the biggest public speaking event of its kind in the world. Now in its eighth year, over 18,000 year 10 students are expected to compete for over £15,000 worth of prizes in this year’s final.