East Ham student’s manners speech scoops top prize
- Credit: Archant
A Newham student has won the top prize in a public speaking challenge with a speech about manners.
Adam Khaliq from Langdon Comprehensive School made his award winning speeech, Manners Maketh a Man, at Lister Community School in the Newham regional final as part of the Jack Petchey Speak Out Challenge.
He said: “Competing was nerve-wracking. I can’t believe I won. This has to be me the most brilliant experience of my life!”
Students from15 schools in Newham took part in the Young Speakers competition, which involved 500 year 10 students, who all received a full day of training in public speaking and effective communication.
Second place went to Nella Ramosova from Eastlea Community School with her speech “A New Country” and third place went to Alexis Marinou from Forest Gate Community School with his speech titled “The Power of Habit.”
You may also want to watch:
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales and Lyn Brown MP for West Ham presented the awards. Sir Robin Wales said “The young people were fantastic. The range and depth of the subjects and speeches were funny, moving and wonderful.”
Lyn Brown said: “I was thoroughly impressed by the standard of young people I heard speak here tonight. Their skills and presentation would put many MP’s to shame. I am delighted that young people have this opportunity to have their voice heard. We need more of these events in our society.”
- 1 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 4 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 5 Doctors urge Tower Hamlets mayor to end support for Silvertown Tunnel
- 6 Lockdown in Newham having a 'positive' effect on Covid-19 case rate
- 7 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 8 Trust partnership helps free school meals pupils to eat healthy at home
- 9 Covid funding boost for Newham homeless and young people charities
- 10 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
Jack Petchey’s “Speak Out” Challenge! is the biggest public speaking event of its kind in the world. Now in its eighth year, over 18,000 year 10 students are expected to compete for over £15,000 worth of prizes in this year’s final.