East Ham pupils praised in Spanish newspaper
- Credit: Archant
Children from East Ham were praised in a Spanish newspaper after a journalist from the country visited their school.
Luis Del Palacio, who writes for Diario Siglio, was invited to Brampton Primary School in Masterman Road by friend and assistant headteacher Rosina Junco, also a Spaniard.
She also has an important role as the Every Child A Reader teacher leader for Newham, specialising in Reading Recovery, an alternative literacy programme for children who struggle with phonetics.
He spoke for an hour to a group of 120 pupils about his work with the Samburu tribe of Kenya.
In an article about his visit pubilshed in Diario Siglio, Luis praised them for their attitude and listening skills.
You may also want to watch:
Luis then took questions and answers from children about his work. They had so many questions that he described the experience as being ‘more like a press conference’.
He wrote: “They demonstrated an interest and willingness to participate that was comparable - if not superior - to what one would expect from adults...
- 1 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 2 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 5 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 6 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 9 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 10 School in Stratford unveils mural tribute to Marcus Rashford
“[The school] is a crucible which unites people from very different backgrounds.
“I only had to look at the faces and the eyes of those children who attentively followed my explanations to realise that cultural integration is possible - provided that the necessary conditions exist.”