East Ham pupils praised in Spanish newspaper
- Credit: Archant
Children from East Ham were praised in a Spanish newspaper after a journalist from the country visited their school.
Luis Del Palacio, who writes for Diario Siglio, was invited to Brampton Primary School in Masterman Road by friend and assistant headteacher Rosina Junco, also a Spaniard.
She also has an important role as the Every Child A Reader teacher leader for Newham, specialising in Reading Recovery, an alternative literacy programme for children who struggle with phonetics.
He spoke for an hour to a group of 120 pupils about his work with the Samburu tribe of Kenya.
In an article about his visit pubilshed in Diario Siglio, Luis praised them for their attitude and listening skills.
You may also want to watch:
Luis then took questions and answers from children about his work. They had so many questions that he described the experience as being ‘more like a press conference’.
He wrote: “They demonstrated an interest and willingness to participate that was comparable - if not superior - to what one would expect from adults...
- 1 Changes to controversial Newham parking scheme announced
- 2 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 3 Council rents offices to ambulance service to save money
- 4 Leyton Orient boss is expecting more transfer movement in the window
- 5 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 6 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 7 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 8 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 9 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 10 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
“[The school] is a crucible which unites people from very different backgrounds.
“I only had to look at the faces and the eyes of those children who attentively followed my explanations to realise that cultural integration is possible - provided that the necessary conditions exist.”