E13 Children enjoy mini-Olympics
Thousands of Newham school children and their parents took part in their own mini-Olympics.
The children, who were from eight schools, enjoyed the melee of fun in the E13 Learning Community’s Mini-Olympics Day held recently at Southern Road Playing Fields.
It was opened by Abdul Rahim, Chair of E13 LC, as he was handed the E13 LC ‘torch’ which had been relayed around the schools during the previous week.
The event day included Primary School athletics competitions, a friendly schools and gender-mixed football tournament, and the Primary Boys Football Cup Final between teams from Selwyn and Curwen Primaries.
Schools’ teams in the athletics events each adopted an Olympic country’s flag and one of the Olympic values - Excellence, Friendship, Respect, Courage, Determination, Equality and Inspiration.
You may also want to watch:
Classes from the schools were treated to performances by more than 20 acts on the Big Dance Bus, Navarang Indian Classical Dance and a mass Zumba workout. They also got the chance to try out sports and other activities on over 20 ‘Have-a-Go’ areas - including Kwik Cricket provided by West Ham Cricket Club, Speed Stacking run by West Ham Utd Inspire Learning Centre, and Tri-Golf provided by Davies Sports.
Other acts and providers included staff and students from E13 LC schools, Cumberland Sports Partnership and Leytonstone High School, Big Dance Bus professionals, and a range of other independent individuals and organisations.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
Newham MPs Stephen Timms and Lyn Brown also attended the event, along with local Councillor Forhad Hussain and the head teachers from the E13 LC Schools—Cleves, Curwen, Plaistow, Portway, Selwyn, Southern Road primary schools and Lister Secondary.