Custom House school helps students get more than £800k worth of private sixth form education
- Credit: Kelly Clark
A Custom House secondary school is helping its pupils access private education worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Royal Docks Academy is using its links with private schools to help high-flying pupils apply for sixth form scholarships - and £822,464 worth of free schooling has been given to its students.
One place each year is reserved at Felsted School in Essex for a Royal Docks Academy pupil and “many others” secure places at other private schools, the school said.
Assistant headteacher Justin Hopgood said: “Private schools are full of children with straight As, so they need to not only have exemplary academic records, but also have a little something about them. It’s about more than just top grades.”
Last year’s head girl Agne Pasvanskaite, who got a place at Felsted, said: “I had some initial reservations about applying to Felsted as it meant moving away from home, but now I’m here I do feel so fortunate to have been given this life-changing opportunity.”
You may also want to watch:
In September Year 11 student Georgie Bristow will head to Felsted School, while Mahim Chaudery and Milot Dvorani have got places to study at Colfe’s School in Greenwich.
- 1 Second jabs hub opening at Westfield as ExCeL London vaccination centre soon to close
- 2 Newham foster carers on 'most rewarding and uplifting experience'
- 3 Feminism, corner shops and bricks: Here's what's happening in Newham Heritage Month
- 4 Ex-student who got MIT scholarship sets up tutor business to help others
- 5 'Council houses now': Protesters stage action over empty homes
- 6 Call The Midwife stars meet Bonny Downs staff and families
- 7 Website helps disadvantaged youth understand job roles to raise aspirations
- 8 Anonymous tip off could hold key to murder of Sami Sidhom three years later
- 9 Newham to start weekly recycling collections
- 10 WSL: West Ham 0 Aston Villa 0