Custom House school helps students get more than £800k worth of private sixth form education
- Credit: Kelly Clark
A Custom House secondary school is helping its pupils access private education worth hundreds of thousands of pounds.
Royal Docks Academy is using its links with private schools to help high-flying pupils apply for sixth form scholarships - and £822,464 worth of free schooling has been given to its students.
One place each year is reserved at Felsted School in Essex for a Royal Docks Academy pupil and “many others” secure places at other private schools, the school said.
Assistant headteacher Justin Hopgood said: “Private schools are full of children with straight As, so they need to not only have exemplary academic records, but also have a little something about them. It’s about more than just top grades.”
Last year’s head girl Agne Pasvanskaite, who got a place at Felsted, said: “I had some initial reservations about applying to Felsted as it meant moving away from home, but now I’m here I do feel so fortunate to have been given this life-changing opportunity.”
You may also want to watch:
In September Year 11 student Georgie Bristow will head to Felsted School, while Mahim Chaudery and Milot Dvorani have got places to study at Colfe’s School in Greenwich.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'
- 10 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation