Custom House pupils enjoy sports festival at Olympic venue
- Credit: Ady Kerry
Pupils from a Custom House school were treated to a glimpse of Olympic life last week when they took part in a fun sports event at one of the London 2012 venues.
Children in Years 3 and 4 at Rosetta Primary School in Sophia Road enjoyed free hockey and tennis coaching sessions at Lee Valley Hockey and Tennis Centre as part of the Schools Festival.
Around 500 children took part in the annual event and 50 primary schools were involved, representing every London borough as well as Hertfordshire and Essex.
The children enjoyed coaching in quicksticks, a four-a-side hockey taster, and mini tennis.
The festival was hosted by the Lee Valley Regional Park Authority in partnership with venue operators Lee Valley Leisure Trust.
“It was great to see so many youngsters from across the region following in the footsteps of sporting stars and playing tennis and hockey here,” said Derrick Ashley, Lee Valley Regional Park Authority chairman.
“Uniquely among world class sports venues, anyone can play on the pitches and courts at the centre which runs many introductory sessions to encourage new participants to get involved.”
- 1 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 2 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 5 How many Covid patients are in hospital in east London this week?
- 6 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 7 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 8 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 9 Best Western hotel approved despite school opposition
- 10 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
To book activities and for more information on the centre, including available coaching sessions, visit visitleevalley.org.uk