Custom House Oscar is a chess champ
- Credit: Archant
A young pupil who has been playing chess since he was three-years-old was awarded a silver medal in a tournament among 500 children from across Britain.
Oscar Dybowski, 10, from St Joachim’s Catholic Primary School in Custom House was among 30 Year 5 pupils from from the school who took part in the ‘Chess in Schools and Communities Tournament’ at Kensington Olympia.
Over 500 children from all across Britain and all age groups took part in the competition. Some secondary schools also competed.
The children played five games under strictly timed conditions. Most of the St Joachim’s children won at least one game, with some winning three games.
Oscar progressed further than the rest by winning four games and drawing one, picking up the silver medal in his age group.
You may also want to watch:
The silver medal should come as no surprise to talented Oscar as he is an accomplished chess player and competes in many competitions and has done so for many years. He has a great teacher at home too as his father is a FIDE Master in chess and Oscar has been playing chess since he was three.
Oscar, who lives in Custom House, said: “I feel proud to have won the silver medal as a representative of St. Joachim’s. I was so close to the gold. It was very challenging to try and win a game in the short time given but I’m looking forward to returning next year and trying to win a gold medal. I know I can do it.”
- 1 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA, by-election and referendum
- 3 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 4 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Fly-tippers dump loft insulation, building waste and sink on Wanstead Flats
- 7 Leyton Orient defender Josh Coulson set to depart
- 8 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 9 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 10 Elections: London mayor and Assembly member, East Ham cllr and referendum
James Allen, Headteacher at St Joachim’s, said: “ We are very proud of Oscar and all of the Year 5 children who have started having chess lessons this term. The huge venue was very daunting but our students weren’t put off, in fact they took it all in their stride. Our success has spurred us on and encouraged us and we look forward to challenging other schools in the next couple of terms.”