Custom House Oscar is a chess champ
- Credit: Archant
A young pupil who has been playing chess since he was three-years-old was awarded a silver medal in a tournament among 500 children from across Britain.
Oscar Dybowski, 10, from St Joachim’s Catholic Primary School in Custom House was among 30 Year 5 pupils from from the school who took part in the ‘Chess in Schools and Communities Tournament’ at Kensington Olympia.
Over 500 children from all across Britain and all age groups took part in the competition. Some secondary schools also competed.
The children played five games under strictly timed conditions. Most of the St Joachim’s children won at least one game, with some winning three games.
Oscar progressed further than the rest by winning four games and drawing one, picking up the silver medal in his age group.
You may also want to watch:
The silver medal should come as no surprise to talented Oscar as he is an accomplished chess player and competes in many competitions and has done so for many years. He has a great teacher at home too as his father is a FIDE Master in chess and Oscar has been playing chess since he was three.
Oscar, who lives in Custom House, said: “I feel proud to have won the silver medal as a representative of St. Joachim’s. I was so close to the gold. It was very challenging to try and win a game in the short time given but I’m looking forward to returning next year and trying to win a gold medal. I know I can do it.”
- 1 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 2 Stephen Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 3 'That is what this club is about' as Mark Noble wants to find West Ham fan
- 4 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 5 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 6 Indian restaurants to try in Newham, as recommended by readers
- 7 New Covid vaccine centres to open across east London
- 8 Campaigners protest City Farm closure at Town Hall with 6,000-strong petition
- 9 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 10 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
James Allen, Headteacher at St Joachim’s, said: “ We are very proud of Oscar and all of the Year 5 children who have started having chess lessons this term. The huge venue was very daunting but our students weren’t put off, in fact they took it all in their stride. Our success has spurred us on and encouraged us and we look forward to challenging other schools in the next couple of terms.”