Creative Stratford college celebrates first annual awards evening
- Credit: Archant
Celebrations will be taking place for the East London Arts & Music Academy this week with their first annual awards evening.
The academy, which aims to develop the next generation of young creative and business talent, will be handing out awards and holding performances at Stratford Circus on Thursday.
ELAM, a free school, funded by the department of education, first opened its doors in Pitchford Street, Stratford, in September.
Principal, Charlie Kennard, says the event, gives trainees the opportunity to showcase their skills and talents.
He said: “It is a celebration of ELAM and everything we have achieved over the last year.
“The whole event is about our trainees and their achievements and overall it is going to be a really good night.”
The event will also be playing host to a mystery of celebrity guests from the music industry, including,Will Kennard, one half of production duo Chase & Status, and a governor of the school.
- 1 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 2 Manor Park blaze caused by the 'accidental ignition of textiles'
- 3 Fares Maatou was 'murdered with stolen sword', court hears
- 4 Moosakhan Nasiri: Man charged with Plashet Park murder
- 5 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 6 Woman injured after being hit by electric scooter in East Ham
- 7 Man denies committing GBH during alleged robbery at Barkingside Tesco
- 8 Three Met officers receive written warning over photos of murdered sisters
- 9 Manor Park blaze: 100 firefighters get tower block fire under control
- 10 Best Western hotel approved despite school opposition
The head added: “We can’t confirm our whole list of guests we are expected to welcome but we are very lucky to have such strong links within the industry.”
On the night, guests can look forward to eight performances that have been put together by students.
Mr Kennard added: “The night is all about our students.
“The ceremony itself will be hosted by a trainee and there will be a variety of performances that will be showcased by trainees.”
During the ceremony, a variety of awards will be given out to current trainees which take inspiration from the school’s five values.
These include, innovation, collaboration, excellence, integrity and drive.
There will also be awards for individual successes over the last year.
Mr Kennard said: “There will be musical awards but also awards based on maths, English and science, so there will be a good mix during the event.
“Even though we are music disciplined, we also focus on other subjects which will also be highlighted during the ceremony.”
The ceremony will also be open to the public.
“It is going to be a fun night with a lot of talent on show,” Mr Kennard said.
“It will give trainees a chance to show how much they have developed over the year. The event is first of all a celebration of our school and where we have reached over the last year as well as celebrating the exciting plans we have lined up for the future.”
ELAM’s Industry Academy Awards Ceremony takes place at Stratford Circus on Thursday from 7pm. Visit stratford-circus.com for information.