Construction work begins on Bobby Moore Academy
- Credit: Ben Peck
Building work has begun on Newham’s newest school, the Bobby Moore Academy.
Opening with a cohort of 120 Year 7 students in September 2017, the all-through school will educate four to 18-year-olds in Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, close to the London Stadium.
Principal Stuart Burns said that the commencement of the building work was an incredible milestone for the academy.
“The David Ross Education Trust and I, in partnership with the London Legacy Development Corporation, have spent a significant period of time developing both the building and education plans for the school.
“It is fantastic to see all of this hard work and dedication coming to fruition. The architect’s vision for the building looks incredible and, when the final building is sitting side-by-side the former Olympic Stadium, I can’t imagine a more inspirational learning environment.”
The plan is to complete the primary campus next year, with the secondary campus due to open in 2018.
Mr Burns will be hosting a series of open events for prospective parents in early October.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 3 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 4 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 5 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 6 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 9 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 10 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
He added: “The feedback from the community has been fantastic so far.
“We have a very healthy number of people already applying to send their children to the academy, and we want to ensure that people across the area have all the information available to them when they are selecting a secondary school for their child.”
For more, visit bobbymooreacademy.co.uk.