Chobham Academy through to glee club competition final
- Credit: Christine Baker
Young performers from Chobham Academy are one show away from the chance to perform on the West End stage.
The school have reached the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club challenge, which will take place at the IndigO2 next month.
The 16-strong group, aged between 12 and 18, came together through an extra-curricular club at the school in Ulysses Place, Stratford.
Georgia Jones, who manages them, said: “This is the first time Chobham Academy had entered the competition and we are thrilled to reach the final.
“It’s an amazing opportunity for our students to gain experience of performing on a renowned platform which I’m sure will forever stay in their best memories.”
To reach the final, the 12 girls and four boys took part in a boot camp before performing in the regional finals at Barking’s Broadway Theatre earlier this month.
They will now take on the winners of other regions in a bid to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform in the West End.
- 1 Convicted: Forest Gate man plotted contract killing of Rotterdam blogger
- 2 Men from Newham and Bow among seven jailed in organised crime crackdown
- 3 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
- 4 Motorcyclist, 19, died in hospital after A13 crash near Beckton flyover
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged or approved in Newham
- 6 New youth hub set for Stratford Park
- 7 Rail disruptions and roadworks in your area over the next week
- 8 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 9 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 10 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
Sir Jack Petchey, who set up the competition in 2011, said: “I am so delighted to be supporting this programme.
“The challenge, whilst being a competition, is designed to help develop their confidence and to encourage them to work and think as a team.”