Chobham Academy through to glee club competition final
- Credit: Christine Baker
Young performers from Chobham Academy are one show away from the chance to perform on the West End stage.
The school have reached the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club challenge, which will take place at the IndigO2 next month.
The 16-strong group, aged between 12 and 18, came together through an extra-curricular club at the school in Ulysses Place, Stratford.
Georgia Jones, who manages them, said: “This is the first time Chobham Academy had entered the competition and we are thrilled to reach the final.
“It’s an amazing opportunity for our students to gain experience of performing on a renowned platform which I’m sure will forever stay in their best memories.”
You may also want to watch:
To reach the final, the 12 girls and four boys took part in a boot camp before performing in the regional finals at Barking’s Broadway Theatre earlier this month.
They will now take on the winners of other regions in a bid to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform in the West End.
- 1 Body found in search for missing Newham man
- 2 Police officer jailed for GBH after injuring man in Forest Gate
- 3 Election candidate slams plans for Durning Hall in Forest Gate
- 4 Newham schoolchildren enjoy holiday activities as part of programme pilot
- 5 Tributes to 'hero' charity founder who dedicated life to Newham children
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Newham pubs and bars reopening for outdoor service
- 8 Hundreds of customers descend on reopened retailers
- 9 Newham men who bought BMW M5 in £112,000 fraud sentenced
- 10 Santino Dymiter murder: Teens given life terms for 'savage' gang killing
Sir Jack Petchey, who set up the competition in 2011, said: “I am so delighted to be supporting this programme.
“The challenge, whilst being a competition, is designed to help develop their confidence and to encourage them to work and think as a team.”