Chobham Academy through to glee club competition final
- Credit: Christine Baker
Young performers from Chobham Academy are one show away from the chance to perform on the West End stage.
The school have reached the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club challenge, which will take place at the IndigO2 next month.
The 16-strong group, aged between 12 and 18, came together through an extra-curricular club at the school in Ulysses Place, Stratford.
Georgia Jones, who manages them, said: “This is the first time Chobham Academy had entered the competition and we are thrilled to reach the final.
“It’s an amazing opportunity for our students to gain experience of performing on a renowned platform which I’m sure will forever stay in their best memories.”
You may also want to watch:
To reach the final, the 12 girls and four boys took part in a boot camp before performing in the regional finals at Barking’s Broadway Theatre earlier this month.
They will now take on the winners of other regions in a bid to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform in the West End.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 3 West Ham United reveal 2021/22 Umbro Third Kit
- 4 Leyton Orient still looking to add one or two new signings
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 7 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 8 Meet the Forest Gate pastor supporting athletes at Tokyo Olympics 2020
- 9 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 10 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
Sir Jack Petchey, who set up the competition in 2011, said: “I am so delighted to be supporting this programme.
“The challenge, whilst being a competition, is designed to help develop their confidence and to encourage them to work and think as a team.”