Chobham Academy through to glee club competition final
- Credit: Christine Baker
Young performers from Chobham Academy are one show away from the chance to perform on the West End stage.
The school have reached the grand final of the Jack Petchey Glee Club challenge, which will take place at the IndigO2 next month.
The 16-strong group, aged between 12 and 18, came together through an extra-curricular club at the school in Ulysses Place, Stratford.
Georgia Jones, who manages them, said: “This is the first time Chobham Academy had entered the competition and we are thrilled to reach the final.
“It’s an amazing opportunity for our students to gain experience of performing on a renowned platform which I’m sure will forever stay in their best memories.”
You may also want to watch:
To reach the final, the 12 girls and four boys took part in a boot camp before performing in the regional finals at Barking’s Broadway Theatre earlier this month.
They will now take on the winners of other regions in a bid to win a share of £5,000 in prizes and perform in the West End.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 Dangerous driver arrested after police find drugs and £28k cash
- 9 NHS 'concerned' about Covid vaccine uptake in Newham
- 10 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
Sir Jack Petchey, who set up the competition in 2011, said: “I am so delighted to be supporting this programme.
“The challenge, whilst being a competition, is designed to help develop their confidence and to encourage them to work and think as a team.”