Children from nursery in Forest Gate meet Newham police officers and fire fighters
- Credit: submitted
Nursery children got a taste of the work police and fire fighters do in the community.
Newham police officers popped into Chestnut Nursery in Forest Gate to speak to them while the children paid a visit to Stratford fire station last Thursday.
The visits were part of the children, aged three to four from the nursery‘s class four, building relations with public services in the community and getting an understanding of the vital work they carry out.
PC Taysom and her colleague PC March talked to the children at the nursery in Chestnut Avenue about catching criminals to keep the community safe.
The children were also instructed to go into a shop if they got lost and ask them to call the police. They were also asked to remember their parents names and taught how to dial 999 in an emergency. They were also given drawing books with a road safety theme.
You may also want to watch:
A few days later the children met firefighters during their visit to Stratford station on Romford Road.
Here firefighters told them to get out of a building in the event of an fire and also taught them how to dial 999.
- 1 Stratford councillor who slammed Boris's bike ride cycles 30 mile round trip across London
- 2 Police appeal for help after woman raped in Beckton
- 3 Double murder accused remanded in custody over ‘brutal’ stabbings
- 4 Fan's column: West Ham are in the mix to battle it out with the big boys
- 5 Tribute to 7th Barts Health Trust worker to die of Covid-19
- 6 NHS Nightingale London's jabs hub opens as Covid-19 vaccinations ramp up
- 7 Mayor vows to continue Newham free school meals scheme
- 8 Newham's Covid-19 case rate 'huge' but there is 'light at end of the tunnel'
- 9 Forest Gate man, 21, charged with dangerous and drug driving
- 10 Letters: CCTV facial recognition, Covid and tenants' manifesto
The children also had a go at trying out the fire hoses and looked inside a fire engine.
Nursery deputy manager Jade Chant said of both visits: “The children loved it and meeting the police and fire fighters helped them understand people, who help us in the community.”
Chestnut Nursery in Chestnut Avenue, Forest Gate, is holding an Open Day, on Saturday August 24, from 10am to 3pm, giving parents and children, interested in starting at the nursery, a chance to have a look around and speak to staff.
There will be snacks and refreshments, along with fun games such as apple bobbing, hoop a frog, hook a duck, cake decorating, face painting, mendhi, messy activities, and story time.