Children from nursery in Forest Gate meet Newham police officers and fire fighters
- Credit: submitted
Nursery children got a taste of the work police and fire fighters do in the community.
Newham police officers popped into Chestnut Nursery in Forest Gate to speak to them while the children paid a visit to Stratford fire station last Thursday.
The visits were part of the children, aged three to four from the nursery‘s class four, building relations with public services in the community and getting an understanding of the vital work they carry out.
PC Taysom and her colleague PC March talked to the children at the nursery in Chestnut Avenue about catching criminals to keep the community safe.
The children were also instructed to go into a shop if they got lost and ask them to call the police. They were also asked to remember their parents names and taught how to dial 999 in an emergency. They were also given drawing books with a road safety theme.
A few days later the children met firefighters during their visit to Stratford station on Romford Road.
Here firefighters told them to get out of a building in the event of an fire and also taught them how to dial 999.
- 1 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 2 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 3 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 4 Manor Park house fire leaves adults and child in hospital
- 5 E-fit released after woman sexually assaulted in Newham
- 6 Have you seen Lisa, 47, who is missing from Forest Gate?
- 7 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 8 London City Airport bid to ease Saturday flight ban sparks anger
- 9 Jailed: Forest Gate serial arsonist who started more than two dozen fires
- 10 Architects chosen to lead 1,750 home Canning Town masterplan design
The children also had a go at trying out the fire hoses and looked inside a fire engine.
Nursery deputy manager Jade Chant said of both visits: “The children loved it and meeting the police and fire fighters helped them understand people, who help us in the community.”
Chestnut Nursery in Chestnut Avenue, Forest Gate, is holding an Open Day, on Saturday August 24, from 10am to 3pm, giving parents and children, interested in starting at the nursery, a chance to have a look around and speak to staff.
There will be snacks and refreshments, along with fun games such as apple bobbing, hoop a frog, hook a duck, cake decorating, face painting, mendhi, messy activities, and story time.